Class Actions and Action Dice

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Class Actions and Action Dice

Post by Kergalli »

For many of the class abilities it states to roll 1d20 in the text to determine the results (Lay on Hands, Spell Checks, Turn Unholy), but in reality I should read that as Action Die - correct?

If a 6th level Cleric uses his first Action Die (d20) to make an attack with his mace and then tries to Turn Unholy, he would be rolling 1d14 + Personality Modifier + Caster Level + Luck Modifer -right?

Also - can a character choose when to use an Action Die? That is, could the Cleric above choose to roll the d14 first when attacking and then use his d20 Action Die second to make the Turn Unholy attempt?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Class Actions and Action Dice

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Kergalli wrote:For many of the class abilities it states to roll 1d20 in the text to determine the results (Lay on Hands, Spell Checks, Turn Unholy), but in reality I should read that as Action Die - correct?
From my reading, you are correct here.
Also - can a character choose when to use an Action Die? That is, could the Cleric above choose to roll the d14 first when attacking and then use his d20 Action Die second to make the Turn Unholy attempt?
From my reading, the Cleric chooses what Action Die is used by the order of the actions. For example, in your case the Cleric could try to Turn Unholy and then attack, thus ordering the dice as desired.

That's my reading, anyway.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Class Actions and Action Dice

Post by Kergalli »

Thanks. That is how I would read them also. Been reading and re-reading the DCC book since it came out, but I am only now seriously thinking about in terms of rules and their application.

Most of the examples in the book assume the character always uses their larger Action Die first. Tactically, I like the idea of a character being able to use multiple Action Dice is any order.

Return to “Magic and Spells”