Elf and Wizard spell questions

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dutch206
Gongfarmer

Elf and Wizard spell questions

Post by dutch206 »

Question #1: Something is confusing me about wizards in DCC. Since Wizards get random access to their spells known, it is theoretically possible for a wizard to go his entire career without learning the "patron bond" spell. If I understand the description of the the Wizard class correctly, the only way they can cast spells is by having a bonded patron. So, is a wizard without this spell stealing magic?

Question #2: Do all high elves start with the King of Elfland as their patron?
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Elf and Wizard spell questions

Post by TheNobleDrake »

A wizard casts spells by using acquired knowledge of mystical arts to bargain with supernatural beings for greater power... not necessarily one specific patron every single time.

A read through the Spellburn Actions table on page 109 actually shows a few different expressions of that same flavor; there's swearing an oath to a minor demi-god, promising your soul to serve a demon in the afterlife, and a few others that less overtly place into terms that the wizard (or elf) has bargained with something from the beyond in order to have power.

Bonding with a patron just puts a name, and because of a more detailed "contract" greater benefits, on the "supernatural being(s)" part of things.

As for elves and their patron options... I see no reason to insist that when an elf decides to strike a deal with a powerful supernatural being that they call upon the King of Elfland (first, or at all for that matter). If there was meant to be a restriction, I am sure that the fine folks of Goodman Games would have spelled it out clearly.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

TheNobleDrake wrote:If there was meant to be a restriction, I am sure that the fine folks of Goodman Games would have spelled it out clearly.
And then say "of course you can house rule this like everything else, if you don't like it".
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Coppercredit
Gongfarmer

Post by Coppercredit »

So do you have to randomly get Patron Bond/Invoke as a Wizard or is it automatic?
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

Coppercredit wrote:So do you have to randomly get Patron Bond/Invoke as a Wizard or is it automatic?
I allow Wizards to select Patron Bond/Invoke as a starting spell, along with 3 randomly rolled spells. The Mercurial effect and manifestation are still random. A wizard can also forego a chosen patron and roll all 4 spells randomly.

The rules have it that you roll for your wizard spells randomly, with a caveat that if you end up with four worthless spells, the Judge may allow the player to replace two of them with two of the player's choice.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

I have my elves and wizards choose new spells randomly, so for our game, it is possible to never get the patron spells. But I have also designed adventures with old wizard spellbooks as part of the treasure to be found with specific spells listed, or a reduced list of the spells listed in the book to roll for so as to increase the likelihood of a character getting a patron spell. Also, if a character wanted a patron spell and they didn't roll one normally, I would provide the means for them to adventure to find one and then swap it out with one of their other spells (and vice versa if for some reason they felt uncomfortable pretending to strike a deal with a demon). In the end it's about everybody having fun, so why let a die roll ruin that?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

cjoepar wrote: In the end it's about everybody having fun, so why let a die roll ruin that?
And that makes you a superior game master in my book. :)

Return to “Magic and Spells”