Missing section on Patron Bond

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Bercilak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Missing section on Patron Bond

Post by Bercilak »

This was mentioned in the "stomp the typo" thread, but I thought I'd ask what anyone else is doing to fill in the gap on the Patron Bond spell, where the table skips over the 24-27 spell effects.

-Berc
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Missing section on Patron Bond

Post by TheNobleDrake »

For casting it upon yourself, there is really only room for either having invoke patron 3 times per day but no patron spell as a gift - or for getting the spell gift but still having invoke patron twice per day.

For casting it upon others... I think keeping it pretty much as is for the 28-29 result except changing the favor from major back to minor is the best bet...

At least, that is how I am doing things in my home game until official ruling convinces me of a better course of action.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here is the actual 24-27 result for patron bond. The text is actually in the edited manuscript; somehow it got lopped off in layout.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to do a table properly on these forums so I'll list it as rows:

Patron bond, result 24-27:

When cast on self: The caster is considered an important person in his patron’s plans. He forms an agreement with his patron and is marked as one in the patron’s service. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to his patron and may cast it twice per day at a +1 bonus to the spell check. The patron also gives the caster a gift (for which a counter-gift is to be expected, of course). The gift is a single patron spell, selected from the patron’s spell list. The caster can cast this spell once per day in place of a casting of invoke patron. Each time he casts this patron spell or invoke patron, the caster is indebted to his patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

When cast on others: The caster forms a bond between his patron and the subject, who is very useful to the patron. The patron bestows a minor boon on the caster in the form of a +2 bonus on the next casting of invoke patron or a patron spell, and grants a minor boon to the subject in the form of a +1 bonus to his next action in the service of the patron. The subject receives a prominent mark of the patron on his hand or face, and may attempt a DC 16 Luck check once per month to ask a minor favor from the patron, which manifests in a non-magical manner. Each time such a Luck check is attempted there is a 1% cumulative chance that the patron asks for something in return. In addition, the patron sends followers to aid the subject’s natural actions. The followers consist of 1d4+1 warriors, each of level 1d3. All bear the mark of the patron. The warriors serve with absolute loyalty (no morale checks are ever required) and ask for nothing in return save adherence to the principles of the patron. The caster is viewed favorably for bringing more followers to his patron; for every 10 followers recruited and bonded, he receive a +1 bonus to future patron bond and invoke patron checks (max +5 bonus).
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Bercilak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Bercilak »

Awesome! Thanks.
-Berc

Return to “Magic and Spells”