Patron Quests

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jo1087
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Dragon’s Lair (Austin, TX)

Patron Quests

Post by Jo1087 »

Just trying to gauge the intensity of quests or requests Patron ask of their servants? I don’t know if someone has made a list of ideas or not.
BernieTheFlumph
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Patron Quests

Post by BernieTheFlumph »

I know the go-to answer for a lot of DCC stuff is "whatever you want," but in this instance, it really is "however intense you want to make it."

Patrons are inscrutable and fickle beings who rarely explain their motivations. They are perfect default quest-givers, good for any adventure.

"You must travel to the depths of the Hungering Chasm and retrieve the Fool's Staff from claws of the Ultrasphynx."

or...

"You must travel to Elfport. Take the red pebble in the central fountain and place it on the corner of Needle Street and Knitter's Row in the garment district."
-Josh Burnett-
Bernie the Flumph
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

It can be anything from simply a 'reason' to have adventures, on up to occasionally excruciating demands.

Everyone's campaign is different, and if you're running a 'beer and pretzels' kind of game, onerous patron demands are not going to fit.

it's something largely determined by the tone you wish to set...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

I'll (humbly) suggest checking out the 2018 Gongfarmer's Almanac, due out in a few weeks. There may be some ideas.
Jo1087
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Dragon’s Lair (Austin, TX)

Post by Jo1087 »

Great feedback. Just wanting to see how others dealt with it! Thanks all!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Depends on the Patron, and the characters relationship with him/her/it. And perhaps the dice.

The quest from Tribbat Lord of Rabbits will probably be very different from Cthulmuku Eater of Souls. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

If there's an obvious connection I can make between a Patron a player has/wants and a module I want to run, I tie these things together. I see Jewels of the Carnifex as an easy one for someone who wants The Raven Queen or another death god, whereas any Patron could require a magic such-and-such from any module really. My players noticed that several 0-1 modules have spherical magic items in them, so I made up the "13 Moons of Aereth" to be a list of artifacts their Patrons want them to retrieve. And so on...

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)

Return to “Magic and Spells”