DC Luck Check vs. Roll Under Luck Check

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Maezar
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Comic Fusion

DC Luck Check vs. Roll Under Luck Check

Post by Maezar »

Hello all,

Good customer. Big fan. First time poster!

I tried to Google an answer to my question but I mostly found confusion. I'm using the 4th printing DCC RPG rulebook in my references below.

I'm confused by the conflicting uses of the term "Luck Check" to mean either a "Core Mechanic" check (roll high and beat a difficulty class) or "Roll Under" check. Ultimately, I seek clarity in a few unspecified cases.

Here are some examples. The term "Luck Check" is defined on page 19 as a "Roll Under" check.
Characters can make Luck checks to attempt feats that succeed based on Luck alone. The judge will provide the specifics of any attempt, but the attempt is usually resolved by rolling equal to or less than the character’s Luck score on 1d20.
This definition is repeated on p. 361:
...make a Luck check (roll 1d20 and attempt to roll under their Luck score).
Throughout the spell descriptions, however, luck checks are given with a specific DC values:
caster becomes absent-minded and must make a DC 7 Luck check
The cleric must make a DC 5 Luck check
etc. etc.

Luck checks are given elsewhere with DC values. How to handle these is obvious.

My first question is whether the intent is that whenever the term is used without a specified DC, the roll-under mechanic should be used. For example, in the "Echim's Mystical Mask" where an attacker "make a Luck check or find their attack turned against them". Is this a Roll Under check? (Aside: how does one know the luck score of a monster?)

What about "Recovering the Body"?

What about "Patron Bond" where there are many uses of "Luck Check" (with bonuses and penalties)

Ultimately, I think that the rules should canonically use "Luck Check" only as it refers to the core mechanic, and that any exception (as noted above) should expressly use the words, "Roll-Under Luck Check". Some clarity may also be needed if a Roll Under check is subject to bonuses or penalties.

Thanks for your consideration and comments,

--
Mæzar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DC Luck Check vs. Roll Under Luck Check

Post by GnomeBoy »

My solutions would be something like this:

If a DC is mentioned, it's a Roll High kind of check -- if no DC is mentioned it's a Roll Under check.

In a situation like Mike's Mask, I'd roll 3d6 along with a d20. If my d20 result is below the total of the 3d6 roll, they succeed. I might grant more or fewer d6 if the creature was understood to be exceptional in some Luck-ish sort of way (or I might shift to 3d5 or 3d7, etc.).

Rolling the Body would always be a Roll Under check -- because that's some real "upward" pressure against burning Luck.

DC, or no DC. It's that simple.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

in the mask example i would go with the ref save and dc of the spell save is always set by the casting number.

that said i kinda ignore dc luck checks and always go with roll under. but that is the way i roll.
Nate Finch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Nate Finch »

One thought I had about rolling low for the generic Luck check is simply to let players roll 1d20+luck score and shoot for DC21. It's the same chance as roll <= Luck, but now a 20 is good.

But yeah, if they ask for a Luck check, that's rolling under your Luck.
jblittlefield
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Cape Fear Gaming

Post by jblittlefield »

My take is:

Luck Roll (with no listed DC) = Roll Luck or less

Luck Roll (with listed DC) = Roll equal to or more than DC

Any mention of "Luck modifier" or something along the lines of "roll Dx and modify by Luck" = Make the listed roll and apply Luck modifier

Return to “Rules discussion”