Heroic Effort and Thieves. Looking for Consensus

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

turtlejet
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Zander's Game House

Heroic Effort and Thieves. Looking for Consensus

Post by turtlejet »

The luck rules state you can "permanently" burn luck to add to any die roll.

Thieves regain luck up to their maximum.

Would a thief with 13 luck who burns 7 in order to add 7d3 to a damage roll eventually regain luck back up to 13? Or would their new "max" luck be 6?

I had a thief in my current campaign nuke a boss by spending luck in this way. It was hilarious, but I'm wondering what the consensus on "permanent" loss of luck is for thieves since I could see this strategy recurring.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Heroic Effort and Thieves. Looking for Consensus

Post by GnomeBoy »

A thief with 13 Luck burns 7, and now has a Luck score of 6. Her Luck will increase the next morning by an amount equal to her Level. With enough time, she can get back to her 'natural' score of 13.

If she had her full "natural" score of 13, and gained Luck as a reward for adventuring, she could now have a "natural" score of 14 or higher, depending on the amount of Luck awarded.

See page 36, column 2, the paragraph beginning with "Second, unlike other classes," for the details.

This is why I set a cap of 18 for "normal" Luck, so that Thieves and Halflings can't potentially get ever-increasing Luck. They can get to 18, and to go beyond that takes something truly special going on...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”