Circle of Mages

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

harshec
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gametime Hobbies

Circle of Mages

Post by harshec »

Hi all,

A question about Circle of Mages spell casting. Do each of the wizards participating in the circle need to KNOW the spell being cast? The text in DCC RPG does not seem to indicate this. I can see arguments either way (I intuitively lean toward the notion that, yes, each wizard should know the spell, but maybe this would be too restrictive?).

So, for example, if some low-level wizards wanted to get together to cast a powerful Charm Person spell via a circle, would all wizards in that circle actually have to have the ability to cast Charm Person individually?

Thanks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Circle of Mages

Post by GnomeBoy »

You could do this in any number of ways -- that's the glory of DCC. YOU decide what it takes or doesn't take, based on your ideas for your game and how your group does things. Got hours to play every month and going for a grittier, simulationist style? Maybe it takes everyone knowing the spell and all the training time that goes with that. ...Only meeting up once a month to play for 3 hours? Breeze by all that and just say "these three wizards can together form a magic circle and get 'er done."

Maybe a lead wizard who knows the spell is guiding the others in the circle, such that they don't need to know it, just be able to follow instructions...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

The book does imply that Ritualized versions of spells are actually different spells than their normal variants. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they need to learn the Ritualized version, but notes on how to conduct the spell as part of a circle of mages makes for nice loot/a good adventure hook.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

GnomeBoy wrote: Maybe a lead wizard who knows the spell is guiding the others in the circle, such that they don't need to know it, just be able to follow instructions...
I think I'd rule it this way, but roll a new mercurial magic result for each wizard that didn't know the spell. And apply them all, of course.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

thogard wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote: Maybe a lead wizard who knows the spell is guiding the others in the circle, such that they don't need to know it, just be able to follow instructions...
I think I'd rule it this way, but roll a new mercurial magic result for each wizard that didn't know the spell. And apply them all, of course.
That's a great idea. More chaos!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
harshec
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gametime Hobbies

Post by harshec »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm fully aware of the freedom I have with the DCC rules (which I am definitely willing to take advantage of). That said, I just wanted some possible insight in case others actually had some experience and advice they could offer before I decide how to rule on it in my campaign.
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Brookhurst Hobbies

Post by Starbeard »

I was reading this section today and it's worth pointing out that the bit about item enchantment spells suggests that you can imbue powers from spells you don't know by letting other members of the circle lead with their own spells. To me that implies that the original intent was that only the leader needs to know the spell. Not that it matters for your own game, of course.

I think for my game most normal spells can be ritualized without learning it again, but I like the idea of rerolling the mercurial magic effect. I'd make it apply to all participants too, regardless of whatever their own mercurial effect might be for that spell. After all, it's his spell they're casting, not theirs.

Return to “Rules discussion”