New player with a few questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Mind Games

New player with a few questions

Post by maceo_the_escher »

Hi,

I have read through the DCC book (4th printing) and I have a few questions I am hoping to get answered. I'm including them all in one post and then can update my post as the questions are answered. Thank you in advance and I look forward to reading and learning more about the game and community!

Cleric:
• Do regular cleric spell checks include Luck modifier?
• How do you determine which spells the cleric knows at 1st level (and beyond)?
• Does the God chosen have any effect on the spells the cleric is able to cast?
• Are there descriptions of the Gods somewhere?

Warrior
• Why say a warrior (or a rogue) can roll 1d10 as a spell check when even a 10 is a failure for a spell?

Wizard
• How do you roll randomly for spells at 1st level? d30 ignore rolls above the number of available spells?
• Is the number of spells known at 1st level also modified by Int. score?
• Why would there be a “significant chance of failure” for a wizard to cast a higher level spell if his max spell level is capped? Could you provide an example.

Morale: When retreating, do all opponents get the single free attack? So if a party retreats and there’s 8 opponents left do all 8 get to attack once (and pick their target)?

Spell duel: If one caster succeeds on their spell check and the other caster fails what happens? The spell that succeeds just goes off as it normally would and the failed caster just suffers normal repercussions? If that’s the case doesn’t it punish the caster that was successful because there’s no chance for the spell to have an even greater impact?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: New player with a few questions

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hi,

Cleric
• I believe the Turn Unholy is the only one called out as using the Luck Modifier.
• Some folks do it randomly, some by Judge decree, some let the player with Judge approval, some a combination of these.
• If the Judge says so, yes.
• Officially, you have page 32. There may be fan-made stuff out there...

Warrior
• Because you can Burn Luck to boost any roll. A Thief gets a die as a bonus for every point of Luck they Burn. A Halfling can Burn Luck to boost a roll for someone else. Even without a Wizard, a team with the right composition for it could still get some high spellchecks when they need them...

Wizard
• That works.
• Yep. Top of page 48, second column.
• The successful minimum roll goes up as the spell level rises. If you cast from a Scroll, your Judge may allow it to be a spell of a higher level than you've mastered. If you have a Patron, they may hand you something you might not normally learn, but they're going to push the knowledge into your head, so you can serve them in some way... etc.

Morale: Opponents in position to get an attack, have the opportunity. If you're in melee and your opponent runs away, you can get a free swing at them. But if you're 20' away and someone runs away, that doesn't mean you get a free swing. Who gets a free attack is based on the situation, and I can't be sure about the situation you're describing. If all 8 are in toe-to-toe combat, then yes, but they can obviously only pick from targets within reach.

Spell Duels: No one understands Spell Duels. :wink:
Well, okay, I don't understand Spell Duels. I've never used them, so someone else will have to tackle that one...

Also, none of my answers are definitive. Consider them possible answers; other folks may have different answers for you...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Thank you GnomeBoy! It took about 24hrs for my post to get approved so I was able to research my questions more and your answers help a lot and match the answers that I found.

I guess the only one remaining is the Spell Duel question. If anyone reads this and can explain it further I would appreciate it.

The next thing I need to do is start playing! I saw there was a new printing that I can pre-order. Are the rules changed at all or just a fresh printing?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

And, all printings are the same rules, although some might have different adventures in the back, art changes, typos fixed, and/or clarifications. 1st Printing is still 100% viable with the current one!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Thank you @Raven_Crowking. I’m going to listen to that podcast tomorrow. It’s a pretty long podcast so it will probably help a lot.

Just a few non rule questions until I have more rule ones:

-if you do a 0 level adventure and a player has 2 characters survive (just as an example) do you let the player level both characters to level 1 and keep playing them both or they just pick one?

-there doesn’t seem to be a default setting book. I heard good things about Hubris but is there another campaign book that is more popular or better received if I want to get a campaign book? What about a “monster manual”?

-which 3PP are the best?

-any recommendations for “got to have” products?

Thank you everybody!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

maceo_the_escher wrote:Thank you @Raven_Crowking.
My pleasure!
-if you do a 0 level adventure and a player has 2 characters survive (just as an example) do you let the player level both characters to level 1 and keep playing them both or they just pick one?
I let them keep both, but play only one at a time (unless the group size is very small). Others are backups, a "stable" of characters that can be used on other adventures, or if there is a death.
-there doesn’t seem to be a default setting book. I heard good things about Hubris but is there another campaign book that is more popular or better received if I want to get a campaign book? What about a “monster manual”?
Since you are asking my opinion, I think that you should steal liberally from any sources you like, and create your own campaign world. You can start very small, and then just build out from there. Use various setting books as a source of ideas, new classes, etc., instead of canon.

BUT, there is Tales of the Fallen Empire, Hubris, DCC Lankhmar (upcoming), DCC Dying Earth (upcoming), DCC Empires of the East (upcoming), Umerica, Crawljammer, etc., to choose from otherwise.

As far as a "monster manual" goes, there is Critters, Creatures, & Denizens - but I would recommend making things up. The Monster Extractor series might help there.
-which 3PP are the best?
Anything written by Daniel J. Bishop. :D

(Kidding)
-any recommendations for “got to have” products?
https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2014 ... ories.html

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2014 ... art-i.html
https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2014 ... rt-ii.html
https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2014 ... t-iii.html

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2015 ... -list.html
SoBH pbp:

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Well @Raven_Crowking you have been a fantastic source of information! Thank you!

I listened to the podcast and it did answer the one question I had about spell duels so that's good. PLUS I learned about the Spellburn podcast and I'm really looking forward to listening to more episodes. Even just the one episode was enlightening about how the adventures don't really focus on large, long campaigns because Appendix N fiction is episodic and that's how the adventures are designed.

Thank you for all the links and I have your website saved to my favorites too. I think I will pick up both the Random Esoteric Creature Generator and Creatures, Critters, and Denizens

For now I will hold off on a campaign book and just try out some adventures first I think.

I also saw the rpg games and DM Workshop in Toronto. That looks really cool ! It looks like all the days available are during the weekday though.

I probably won't have any more rules questions for a couple of days but please check back, your answers have been very helpful.

Any advice on how to find online or in-person DCC games? I think I would eventually like to run some and help spread the word.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You are very welcome!

As for finding a game, whereabouts are you? Use the Events Page to find something near there, and then go to it and talk to people.

http://goodman-games.com/events/
SoBH pbp:

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I guess I do have one question today. Mithril. I see older threads about it but wanted to revisit it to see if over the years any more of an official answer or consensus has been reached.

A 1st level elf can buy mithril armor and a weapon but there is no statistical advantage over iron armor other than a slight weight reduction?
Mithril armor "may" reduce the spell check penalty, but that reduction is up to the individual judge?
How are these handled at conventions if different people handle it differently?

Thank you for any clarification

PS I listened to the Spellburn podcast about clerics and it made me feel a little better that they also agreed there should have been a little more information about the gods included in the book. When I read that section I thought there would be a description later in the book but there isn't. I have to get more comfortable with not having everything laid out for me.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

maceo_the_escher wrote:A 1st level elf can buy mithril armor and a weapon but there is no statistical advantage over iron armor other than a slight weight reduction?
Mithril armor "may" reduce the spell check penalty, but that reduction is up to the individual judge?
How are these handled at conventions if different people handle it differently?
Correct.
Correct.
The judge's rulings are the rule.
PS I listened to the Spellburn podcast about clerics and it made me feel a little better that they also agreed there should have been a little more information about the gods included in the book. When I read that section I thought there would be a description later in the book but there isn't. I have to get more comfortable with not having everything laid out for me.
For more details on the gods in the core rulebook, there is an upcoming DCC Annual. Knights in the North has a number of unofficial, but high-quality, write-ups as well.

https://knightsinthenorth.blog/category/dcc/
SoBH pbp:

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Well...I have continued to listen to the Spellburn podcast and its made me more confident in my understanding of the game-which is great! To be honest, I really didn't have many questions which speaks, I think to the simplicity of the rules. The podcast on halflings did generate two new questions though.

1. When halflings reach higher levels and get mutiple action dice, what die do they use for their 2WF attack? For example, if they were 2WF at level 6 would their attacks be d16, d16 (2WF), + d14 (extra action die)?

2. Someone mentioned on the podcast that 2WF also made a character roll initiative using a d16 but I think that only applies to 2HF. Does 2WF use d16 for intiative?

As always thank you for any clarification or thoughts!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

1. It'd be 1d6 + 1d16 & 1d12 + 1d12, unless they weren't opting for a two-weapon attack for their second Action Die (so yes, they could use 1d16 + 1d16 & 1d14, if they chose that option; for that matter they could roll 1d20 & 1d12 + 1d12*). As they gain new dice, if they are used for attacks with two weapons, they drop one step on the Dice Chain, just like their "original" d20 Action Die...

2. I've never played with two-weapon fighting affecting Initiative, and can't immediately find a rule that says it does... Using a weapon that takes two hands to use (two-handed weapon) does drop you down the Chain, but you wouldn't be using those in two-weapon fighting unless you had (at least) four arms...!

* The advantage here would be one very solid chance to hit, two relatively higher chances of rolling a critical hit! It may be a houserule to say the Halfling's die always crits on it's highest result, but that's how I'd interpret things... It does not seem outrageous for that level...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Thanks @gnomeboy!
GnomeBoy wrote:1. It'd be 1d6 + 1d16 & 1d12 + 1d12,
Ah! So they can use 2WF for EACH action die! Very cool and that makes sense. Lots of different combinations.

I'm just going to stick with my interpretation of the rules and only have two-handed weapons affect initiative.

NEW QUESTION:

I have a question about running a game at stores-should I ask that here or in another forum section? I didn't see one that said it was for Tour questions.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

maceo_the_escher wrote:I'm just going to stick with my interpretation of the rules and only have two-handed weapons affect initiative.
I think that's RAW.

maceo_the_escher wrote:I have a question about running a game at stores-should I ask that here or in another forum section? I didn't see one that said it was for Tour questions.
Ask away... If it's about what games "count" as Road Crew, it's any public game that your promote in some way (flyer, social media posts, etc.). I think there's a new thing of putting it on the GG calendar, too.

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

@gnomeboy Thanks again.

Just when I didn't think I had any more rules questions I found a few more as I was reading about wizard and thieves again today.

Wizards
1. Patrons have their own spellburn section-but I couldn't tell if that section was only used when a wizard used spellburn to invoke patron or any time the wizard used spellburn to cast any spells once a patron bond was established.

2. Wizards get a -2 penalty to cast spells that are the same as cleric spells because generally the spells are not the same level but I noticed Detect Magic was a 1st level spell for both the wizard and the cleric. Since it has an asterisk I think it still gets a -2 but I just wanted to double check since that spell is the same level.

Thieves
1. Backstab. When I read the backstab section again it seems to indicate that the thief only gets his attack bonus when he backstabs. Is that correct or am I reading it wrong?
1.a. I’m sure every judge handles it differently so maybe this isn’t a good question but is backstab generally only granted at the start of a combat or do thieves roll to hide and sneak mid-combat for multiple backstab attempts? I’m used to 5e where it is granted more often probably but does less damage.

2. Reading scrolls. Is there a generic DC table for reading scrolls (1st lvl spell is DC10, etc)? Any tips or experiences to share about handling spell scroll DCs?

My questions for running a game in-store are:

1. Is there an adventure(s) that is seen as more suited to an open game? Maybe ones that are generally able to be completed in a single session?

2. The funnel is a unique and important part of DCC but I can also see wanting to showcase how the classes work by running a 1st level adventure instead of a 0-level funnel. Is there any consensus about what new people seem to enjoy more?

3. The Crawler app is amazing and will help a lot when running games but I was also wondering if there are any recommendations of other aids that would be helpful to have on hand (other than general reference material, character sheets, pencils). After reading the rules nothing really comes to mind but wanted to ask people who have had experience.

Thank you for your continued responses
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Wizard
1. Yep. :mrgreen: That is, do it how you want to do it. Go with what makes more sense for THAT Patron. Are they super-controlling? Maybe they influence all of it!
2. It's meant to give Clerics an edge on a few things, I believe.

Thieves
1. You're overthinking in this case. The "attack bonus" in question is the bonus to attacks from the Backstab ability.
1a. If circumstances allow, they can Backstab again. Maybe it takes a round or two to maneuver into such an opportunity, but they can it it nearly every round -- it all comes down the circumstances. For much of the game, go from the narrative level and work your way from there to the mechanics. ("It's barely lit in this room that the ogrums are attacking the party in... easy for someone to 'hide' in the fog of war at the edges of the room, and lunge out with a backstab...")

2. It's a spellcheck. Just make a spellcheck. At low levels they will probably also need to burn Luck to make the spell work, but the option to cast is there.

Stores
1. Probably. But a 'single session' for some folks is 2 hours and for others it's 4 hours and yet something else for still other folks. Gotta make your own call on that. 8)

2. LOTS of people get the biggest kick out of Funnels. Some groups, when they play DCC, only play Funnels. Just explain that the Funnel is a single adventure and then leveling up happens... I have run Sailors on the Starless Sea 6 or 7 times in the past two years -- I've people unsure about the Funnel concept turn completely around in their opinion. You never know what's gonna grab people...

3. I have some of the crit tables and the fumble table printed out for reference (since I don't use a screen usually). When I run a Funnel and we're making characters at the to of the game, I have equipment pages printed out for that, too. I have a bookmark on the page with the index of spells, so I can look up any spell pretty quickly. And I've just started putting in a bookmark on the monster crit page, too.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Wizards

1. I use the patron spellburn table any time the wizard used spellburn to cast any spells once a patron bond is established.

2. Wizards get a -2 penalty to cast detect magic.

Thieves

1. The backstab attack bonus only applies to backstabs.

1.a. If a thief gets the opportunity to slip out of sight during combat, I would allow a backstab. For instance, if a warrior used her Mighty Deed to give her thief friend a chance to backstab, I would allow it. But each attempt to distract would make further attempts harder. I.e., the Deed succeeds on a 3, then a 4, then on a 5, as the opponent grows increasingly warier of the tactic.

2. When reading scrolls you make a spell check. Anyone can do so with 1d10. If you are lucky, the scroll allows a different die to be used when you try, or even has a set outcome.

In-Store Games

1. A lot of adventures can be run in a single session. A few should really be given more. Anything in Chaos Rising is a good place to start!

2. Funnels and higher-level games are both a lot of fun! Funnels definitely allow for an easy place to jump in.

3. I like to use a "Dead" stamp, a really big d20 for special rolls when the gong hits the farmer, plastic "gold" coins for temporary (or fleeting) Luck, etc. Things that add to the dramatic presentation as well as the adventure itself. I find that a printed copy of the Ready Reference Sheets is critical, for me.

https://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot ... heets.html
SoBH pbp:

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Thank you @gnomeboy and @raven_crowking for helping clarify the rules and giving me your thoughts.

I really like the idea of the "DEAD" stamp and the big d20 and maybe some other fun ideas will pop up once I start playing.

I did see that reference doc which is really helpful. I am actually creating class specific ones to cut down (hopefully) on the amount someone would be to flip through to find what they need. I have included a link for the Thief one I made yesterday (I guess you can't upload pdfs or docx). The app from Purple Sorcerer is amazing but I think having these class guides will be helpful too.

Any critiques or recommendations for the sheets is appreciated. I will post them here throughout the week as I complete them.

THIEF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-qplQ ... sp=sharing

CLERIC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rz-_PE ... sp=sharing

HALFLING https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F6rIul ... sp=sharing

DWARF https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txhtC9 ... sp=sharing

WARRIOR https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yXFUxd ... sp=sharing
Last edited by maceo_the_escher on Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Those look good. I may steal that Thief Skill table! It'd be simpler than checking the book each time.

I was just listening to an Episode of Glowburn where someone pointed out an error they'd made about Clerical healing for years, and since it's not spelled out on your sheet, I thought I'd mention it: Healing dice only go as far as the subject has Hit Dice, up to the maximum of the number indicated. So if the Cleric heals for "3 Dice" on a 1st Level character, that character only gets the benefit of 1 Die of healing (since they only have the 1 Class Hit Die). The fellow on Glowburn had been letting people roll all three dice and recover up to full hp, if the roll got them there... 8)

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Good suggestion, Thanks! I added that along with the Disapproval table that I forgot, and also a note on the first page about cleric spell selection options (random, up to Judge, player picks, etc.). I'm going to add the spells next. I added an explanation of the Luck die mechanic to the thief and completed the halfling.
maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Oh boy...I found another question.

For languages, it says "For each point of Intelligence modifier, a character knows one additional language associated with the circumstances of his upbringing. These additional languages are established at 0-level."

Then in the next paragraph it says, "Upon advancing to 1st level, a character may learn additional languages. Wizards learn one additional language per point of Int modifier."

So, the wizard gets a total of x2 Int mod of languages?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

maceo_the_escher wrote:Oh boy...I found another question.

For languages, it says "For each point of Intelligence modifier, a character knows one additional language associated with the circumstances of his upbringing. These additional languages are established at 0-level."

Then in the next paragraph it says, "Upon advancing to 1st level, a character may learn additional languages. Wizards learn one additional language per point of Int modifier."

So, the wizard gets a total of x2 Int mod of languages?
I had been playing it that a Wizard with +1 Int mod gets +1 language at 0-level, +1 language for being smart, and +1 language for being a Wizard.....but I think that you are right.

I also rule that a character can learn up to INT languages over the course of a campaign. Many Appendix N characters speak several languages, after all.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I also rule that a character can learn up to INT languages over the course of a campaign. Many Appendix N characters speak several languages, after all.
That is an excellent little rule!

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I really do appreciate you both checking in so frequently and answering my questions. I realize most of this stuff is little and not game-breaking but I figure I might as well ask and even learn something new!

I added the warrior pdf. I think it came out pretty good.

Of course when I was putting it together I did discover a question:

On page 82 of the 4th printing under Crit Table I there is a double asterisk note that says that a PC with battle rage may expend points of Personality or Intelligence to add +1d12 to damage. Then on Crit Table III the very first result (0 or less) says the foe is hit for +1d12 damage and shows the double asterisk. Does that mean for that particular result you need to spend the 1 pt of Pers. or Int. to get the +1d12 or you get the +1d12 and if you spend a point you get an additional +1d12? I think you get the +1d12 with the result and just need to spend the point(s) if you want additional damage.

Thank you!

Return to “Rules discussion”