Opposing Monster Skill checks

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dorian
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Miniature Market

Opposing Monster Skill checks

Post by Dorian »

All,

Page 67 talks about opposed skill checks. An example is given where an orc is holding a door shut while a player character attempts to knock it down. In this case both are to perform a skill check based on strength.
Though not really clarified in the rules I take this to mean rolling a d20 and adding the strength modifier? Is that right?

However, an orc, being a monster, does not have a strength modifier. What value are you supposed to add to the role if not the strength modifier?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Opposing Monster Skill checks

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Make a reasonable estimate and, literally, roll with it.

Normal orc, probably +0.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DeathKnight4044
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Comikazi

Post by DeathKnight4044 »

Id recommend using the Fortitude/Reflex/Will saving throws instead of an attribute check in most cases. The standard old school modifiers of 13(+1)/16(+2)/18(+3) give a relatively tiny advantage for high stats when youre using a d20 with a DC target number.

IMO a 6th level warrior with 18 strength holding a door against a 1HD orc with 10 strength should have a much better advantage than just +3.

I do this for pretty much all attribute checks that are adventuring related. Walking along a narrow beam or rolling under a swinging axe will use a reflex save (instead of just a Dex check). Holding open a portcullis or swimming against a rushing river will be a fortitude check (instead of just a strength check). Checking for an illusion or other knowledge based skill checks use willpower (instead of just intelligence). This makes the characters level of experience relevant, since the saving throw bonuses increase with level, and leaves less up to chance because your bonuses can exceed +3.

The only time I dont put skill checks into a category of Fort/Ref/Will are tasks that have nothing to do with character level or adventuring, such as blacksmithing or carpentry. Ill just use a regular attribute check with a low DC for mundane tasks (or may not even require a roll at all).
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I sometimes roll 3d6 on the spot to determine a monster or NPC ability score, adjusted as seems appropriate (if something is described as being really fast, I might give them 2d6+6 Agility or even 2d6+10 or something...).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”