Monster crit die table

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dorian
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Miniature Market

Monster crit die table

Post by Dorian »

The table for the monster crit dice is sorted by HD. I assume this means the number of HD used rather than total HP.
So does a 4d4 creature have the potential to do as much damage on a 20 as a 4d20?
Am I reading this correctly?

Additionally, I do not understand what the roman numerals under humanoids represents. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in Advance.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Monster crit die table

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That is my understanding.

It also allows you to play with creatures, so that you can create something that drops easily, but has a chance to do a massive crit.

Consider also: If you up the attack bonus, and drop the Action Die to 1d16....no crits!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Monster crit die table

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Dorian wrote: Additionally, I do not understand what the roman numerals under humanoids represents. Can someone please clarify?
It means they use the same crit tables as player characters. Those are marked with roman numerals.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Rules discussion”