Spells that are both for clerics and wizards

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CowsRespectMe
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Pegasus Games or I'm Board Games

Spells that are both for clerics and wizards

Post by CowsRespectMe »

On page 127 of the DCC core rulebook, Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Binding, and Paralysis are all listed with an asterisk because they are also cleric spells.

At the the bottom of the page, there is the following:
"* As per cleric spell of the same name. Because the wizard version of the spell is a different spell level, the wizard receives a -2 when casting it. ..."

This doesn't seem correct as written, namely, because detect magic is a level one spell for both classes. Should it be something like, "The Wizard suffers a -2 for each level of difference between the 2?" Furthermore, Paralysis is level 3 wizard spell, but a level 1 cleric spell, so the penalty should be greater, right?

Sorry if this is pedantic. My googling skills turned up nothing on this. I'm just starting out and want to make sure I'm ready to run this next week, and more importantly, that I understand the reasons for the rules.

Thanks!
*edit: added bit abou paralysis
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Spells that are both for clerics and wizards

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sorry to see this post has gone unaddressed for so long!

My 2cp is that it's a flat -2. And I think maybe the Detect Magic situation is a typo on the asterisk.

But it's been said before: Run it your way. If you like the effect of -2 per level, go with it!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”