Outlier Character Class: Because you're no hero!

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

NickxBaran
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Board Game Barrister

Outlier Character Class: Because you're no hero!

Post by NickxBaran »

I put together another class to fit my gaming group. Upon reflection, the ranger adaption from Crawl #6 does a solid job of bringing that class to DCC, but I just don't think the ranger concept fits comfortably in the DCC "you're no hero" philosophy.

With that in mind, I mashed together some of the classic ranger abilities with those of the bandit from Dragon Magazine #63 (Woooo! 1982!) and cobbled together what I call an outlier.

Art by Nerdgore

http://brokencontract.blogspot.com/2018 ... n-dcc.html

Let me know what you think. I'm slowly working towards my first DCC Zine.

-Nick
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Outlier Character Class: Because you're no hero!

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I love this- always thought the alignment restriction in AD&D was weird, but this settles it!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
NickxBaran
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Board Game Barrister

Re: Outlier Character Class: Because you're no hero!

Post by NickxBaran »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:I love this- always thought the alignment restriction in AD&D was weird, but this settles it!
I am glad you like it Fenris! I appreciate you taking a moment to say so (both here and on G+).

Also, based upon feedback from folks on the G+, I adjusted the HP/Level to 1d8 and removed the Luck Die from Table 1: Outlier (which was a typo). Both the blog post and google doc have been updated to reflect these changes.

Return to “Rules discussion”