Luck Questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Holden Trainer
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gateway Games and More

Luck Questions

Post by Holden Trainer »

Hello All! I have recently fallen in love with DCC and I have a few questions on how luck can be used. If the questions below can be answered by the text please guide me to the page.

Upon leveling can luck be used to add to hit points permanently? What about halflings and thieves?!? I would not allow this as it games the system, but I'm curious what the Forum has to say.

Can luck be used to alter the die roll, for example I rolled a 4 for Chill Touch, could I burn luck to alter the roll to 3 (charm person) or 5 (choking cloud)?

In a similar manor as above could luck be used to alter the mercurial effects of a spell?

On a side note, how would the mercurial effect Greater Power (best of two random results) affect the patron bond spell?
Last edited by Holden Trainer on Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Luck Questions

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Page 95. covers the most common cases for burning luck, the rest is up to the Judge. I for one don't allow burning luck to improve rolls that aren't some kind of check or damage roll during the adventure. It was meant to save your hide or help you achieve marvelous deeds, not to be used as "build points" to customize your character. It's way too good to earn a permanent bonus at the cost of a temporary value. If someone wants more hit points, different spells, or other persistant bonuses he should quest for it as advised in the Judge's section. It's far more exciting and rewarding.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Holden Trainer wrote:Upon leveling can luck be used to add to hit points permanently? What about halflings and thieves?!? I would not allow this as it games the system, but I'm curious what the Forum has to say.
I wouldn't allow it. I'm not sure how to articulate it, but hp are "outside the events of the game" in a sense, just like you can't burn Luck to raise your Stamina when you roll it up. Action Die and Damage rolls can be altered with Luck Burn. Deed Dice, Hit Dice, Occupation rolls, etc. cannot be altered.

Holden Trainer wrote:I have a 1st level wizard (Int 15, Luck 11) who rolled patron bond, read magic, chill touch, force manipulation, and ward portal so I don't think I qualify for picking spells because all are useless. However, can luck be used to alter the die roll, for example I rolled a 4 for Chill Touch, could I burn luck to alter the roll to 3 (charm person) or 5 (choking cloud)?
This too feels like it falls outside of what Luck Burn is for.... However, it doesn't seem as far outside the realm as Burning to change your stats is... I think the intention is that starting spells are random, like Occupation, and not eligible for Luck Burn. But if you want to run it that Luck can be used that way, why not? Try one campaign one way, and the next another way, and see how it goes.

Holden Trainer wrote:In a similar manor as above could luck be used to alter the mercurial effects of a spell?
I think it's more fun to have it mysterious and random, but see above, since we're talking about the same ballpark.

Holden Trainer wrote:On a side note, how would the mercurial effect Greater Power (best of two random results) affect the patron bond spell?
It wouldn't affect it much. Most results don't have anything you roll to determine after the spellcheck -- except when rolling for the spell when cast on others. Maybe it would apply then.

But not all MM effects are guaranteed to do much, just like not all Birth Augurs are actual boons.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Holden Trainer wrote:Upon leveling can luck be used to add to hit points permanently? What about halflings and thieves?!? I would not allow this as it games the system, but I'm curious what the Forum has to say.
I would say No.
I have a 1st level wizard (Int 15, Luck 11) who rolled patron bond, read magic, chill touch, force manipulation, and ward portal so I don't think I qualify for picking spells because all are useless. However, can luck be used to alter the die roll, for example I rolled a 4 for Chill Touch, could I burn luck to alter the roll to 3 (charm person) or 5 (choking cloud)?
Up to the judge, but I think you should read the spell descriptions before concluding that those are useless spells. Sometimes what appears to be useless on the surface is actually quite powerful. For instance, I had a wizard who bemoaned getting ropework....until ropework became the "go-to" spell for all kinds of things. Remember too that you don't need to learn all of the spells you roll....if you want, say, charm person, you should be able to Quest For It. Just leave a slot open for when you get the spell.
In a similar manor as above could luck be used to alter the mercurial effects of a spell?
Up to the judge. Burning that Luck might cause your modifier to change, cancelling out the effect of burning Luck though.

In general, if you want to burn Luck to alter your starting spells or mercurial results, or for that matter your occupation, I wouldn't sweat over it. You'll wish you still had that Luck later, when you roll a really lousy corruption, or your body is being rolled over.
On a side note, how would the mercurial effect Greater Power (best of two random results) affect the patron bond spell?
"Greater power. The caster is allowed to roll twice for any random element of the spell (duration, damage,
number affected, etc.) and take whichever result he wishes."

The only random element in the spell is patron taint, if you roll a natural "1".
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The only random element in the spell is patron taint, if you roll a natural "1".
The Patron will send followers at higher leveled results, when cast on other folk. I'd say Greater Power should apply to that, though admittedly it's a very edge case.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:The only random element in the spell is patron taint, if you roll a natural "1".
The Patron will send followers at higher leveled results, when cast on other folk. I'd say Greater Power should apply to that, though admittedly it's a very edge case.
Right you are.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”