Can you "roll over the body" with Level-0 characters?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

rotgrub
Gongfarmer

Can you "roll over the body" with Level-0 characters?

Post by rotgrub »

I'm running DCC for the first time, starting with the "funnel" adventure in the core rulebook, and the lethality is... a bit less than I expected. :)

My players have been very careful (i.e., sending in one guinea pig/character at a time, etc.), such that the room with the barbarian statue (which as written is supposed to kill several characters), only killed one. AND that character succeeded on his Luck roll when the party rolled over the body.

And that same character died again. (Since he had a -4 penalty to rolls, he became the go-to guinea pig.) And the "roll over the body" rules don't seem to place a limit on how many times the same character can wake back up. He succeeded the 2nd time. At this point, I house-ruled that the same character could not recover in this fashion more than 1 time during the same adventure.

Am I running this right? Thanks in advance.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Can you "roll over the body" with Level-0 characters?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

rotgrub wrote:I'm running DCC for the first time, starting with the "funnel" adventure in the core rulebook, and the lethality is... a bit less than I expected. :)

My players have been very careful (i.e., sending in one guinea pig/character at a time, etc.), such that the room with the barbarian statue (which as written is supposed to kill several characters), only killed one. AND that character succeeded on his Luck roll when the party rolled over the body.

And that same character died again. (Since he had a -4 penalty to rolls, he became the go-to guinea pig.) And the "roll over the body" rules don't seem to place a limit on how many times the same character can wake back up. He succeeded the 2nd time. At this point, I house-ruled that the same character could not recover in this fashion more than 1 time during the same adventure.

Am I running this right? Thanks in advance.
0-level characters are dead when they reach 0 hp. There is no chance to roll over the body....except to loot their stuff!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Can you "roll over the body" with Level-0 characters?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, can't recall the page, but it specifically says Zeroes that reach 0 hp are dead, period.

The Funnel is sort of a game within a game as part of character creation...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”