Feather Fall: Cast on others?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jcfiala
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Wizard's Chest

Feather Fall: Cast on others?

Post by jcfiala »

So, I've got a question about the spell Feather Fall. It states:

Range: 25"

General: "The caster impedes his own or another person’s rate of descent when falling. This allows the target to
avoid injury or death or to glide upon the breeze. Note that this spell can be cast instantaneously, out of
initiative order, if the caster or a target within range is falling."

But, most of the spell results say it reduces the Caster's speed.

Can you use Feather Fall to reduce someone else's fall speed, or do you need to roll at 18+ to include the someone else as a "additional creature"? From the General description, it seems like you should be able to cast it on other people most of the time, but the results disagree. (Our GM went with needing to get 18+, so we just burned a bit of luck to get to the result we needed.)

I think it's not as useful a spell if you can't use it on someone else all the time, and it's not *that* useful of a spell.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Feather Fall: Cast on others?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I believe that the rule covering this is on page 312 of the book.

:D

That said, I agree with your reading. I would allow another person to be substituted for the caster with any successful check result, based upon the wording of the spell. My reasoning for this is that the general description describes an "either/or" (i.e., caster or target) situation, whereas the spell results describe a "target plus" (i.e., caster plus) situation.

Be aware that the judge can change his mind about how magic (including any spell) works in general without changing what has already occurred. Magic is not predictable in DCC, and the judge is encouraged to have magic behave strangely based on where you are.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”