Minimum Spellburn = Spellburn bonus?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AuthorX
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Dragon's Lair

Minimum Spellburn = Spellburn bonus?

Post by AuthorX »

I started playing a couple of weeks ago and we haven't had a break long enough for me to cast Find Familiar, but I have a question for when it comes up. It says a minimum spellburn of 10 is required, but does that mean those points are "consumed" by the spell and don't provide a bonus, or does it just mean I have to use at least 10 points of spellburn, giving me at least a 10+ bonus? If I burned 15 points at the end of the ritual, would I get a +5 or a +15?

Or is it just completely up to my GM? What would you say if you were the GM in this case?
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Minimum Spellburn = Spellburn bonus?

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I wonder the same, so I checked the book. It says:
DCC Core Rulebook pg. 107 wrote:Some spells and magical items require spellburn to function, as noted in their description.
...and nothing more. Page 316 where the familiars are detailed makes no reference to your question, nor does any spell entry that requires spellburn to work (i.e. Chill Touch, Invoke Patron, Demon Summoning, etc.). What those spells do say, however is they require at least 1 point of spellburn, and Find Familiar requires a minimum of 10 points. This leads me to believe those required points do in fact add to your check. Also note that if those 10 points counted, you could only fail the spellcheck on a natural 1 (or with other spellcheck penalties due to armor, etc.).

Personally I count all spellburned points toward the spellcheck because it seems cool to do so. :mrgreen:

I hope this (or someone else's correction of this) helps!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

It's up to the Judge, and I always give the bonus, and here's why: Chill Touch.

Chill Touch requires at least 1 point of spellburn. If you roll a natural 1 on a spell-check while spellburning you permanently lose 1 ability point. As a Judge, I figure if you're going to risk a 5% chance of permanent ability loss everytime you cast Chill Touch, you deserve the +1.
AuthorX
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Dragon's Lair

Post by AuthorX »

Thanks, that's what I would have thought, but it sounds like I just need to ask my judge when it comes up.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I would second the "you get the bonus" approach.

But I would also be aware that spellburn means lingering trouble, since you're weakened. Never assume you can just rest and heal it all back before anything important occurs.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”