Levels For gameplay?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dracolich
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Trinity

Levels For gameplay?

Post by Dracolich »

I was checking out RPGnow's discount on Castle Whiterock and I noticed that it said that it was for player levels 1-15. But my DCC Manuel says that PC's only go levels 1-10. So where do the levels come from? My Rule book was purchased used so it may be outdated. Are those levels meant for if you are playing 3.0 or something? I apologize if it is a stupid question but I would like to know. Thank you so much in advance.
Cody M(ysterious)
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: I don't have one yet D:

Re: Levels For gameplay?

Post by Cody M(ysterious) »

Was this the one you're referencing?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/50947/Dun ... -Whiterock

If so, I think you're right about this being for the older d20 D&D (3 or 3.5 ed).
Castle Whiterock is designed as an extended campaign
for four to six 1st-level PCs. While the PCs can be of
any class, a good mixture – including at least two fighters,
a cleric, a rogue, and a wizard – is recommended
Since DCC RPG uses the "Thief" class, not "Rogue".
Also, you're right about the level cap in DCC. It's only 10th (which is plenty high for the game, I think).
I have one of the older DCC box sets for 3.5 that could easily be converted to the DCC RPG system, so I don't see why this one also couldn't be converted.
Mah blahrg http://nosaveforyou.blogspot.com/
G+ https://plus.google.com/+CodyMazza

Gray skies are just clouds passing over
- Duke Ellington
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Levels For gameplay?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Whiterock is from the 3e era, when Goodman published adventures for D&D, and didn't have their own system yet... Part of what will tip you off to those older modules is the use of the "d20" logo.

That said, levels of D&D are about half the same level in DCC. So Whiterock could be an adventure to take characters from around Level 1 to Level 7 or 8 maybe. With a little practice, it'd be easy to use those old adventures on the fly, too. Plus, there are resources out there like an issue of Crawl fanzine that has an article about converting old D&D spells into DCC on the fly, so you can run NPC spellcasters easily without a lot of work beforehand....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”