What does a helmet actually do?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

colonelclick
Gongfarmer
FLGS: empire games

What does a helmet actually do?

Post by colonelclick »

Sorry in advance if this has been covered, but after a few minutes of searching the forums I could not find an answer, and I have looked high and low in the book as well.

Certain professions start with an iron or steel helmet. Helmet is decidedly absent so I can see there is no AC bonus.

So, what does a helmet do, beyond flavor and story?

Thanks!
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: What does a helmet actually do?

Post by Jim Skach »

A helmet is stifling, it narrows your vision. And you must see far.
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

Some ideas:

They could sell it or trade it for something more useful.

Since they're 0 level, you could just give them a +1 to armor class out of pity.

If an opponent has a choice of who to target, decide based on whether the circumstances make a helmeted character seem more or less attractive as a target. "He must be the leader! Kill him first!" Or "From this distance and angle, I'd rather shoot my sling at an unhelmeted guy than a helmeted one."

If you choose who to attack based on luck, and there's a tie, say that the helmet dissuades the attacker enough that they pick the other unlucky character.

+1 on saves against falling objects, but +2 to the rolls of anyone trying to sneak by or hide from the character.

Allow the character some benefit against crit results that affect the head.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Several of the critical hit effects actually differentiate whether the target has a helmet or not, so yeah- protects your head! :mrgreen:

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

This was just recently asked on the DCC RPG Rocks! Facebook group, and here's the (edited) thread:
Can any of you fine folks give me the stats for a steel helmet?
It's part of the starting equipment for a level zero squire but I can't find modifiers or descriptions.

I would rule that it can prevent head-related crits. Otherwise, it's just flavor.

Cool. Thanks!

This.

Yeah, it's all circumstantial, not numeric. It might do more than just protect against head-related crits, but that's down to the specific situation and up to the Judge...

IIRC Crawl#2 has a great helmets and shields crit absorption rule. They'll make your characters last a bit longer and also destroy a lot of equipment which is fun.

Yup-- I always use their helmet and shield rules.

Head-butt for 1d4 damage and also serves as a cook pot :)

Lol! Nice!

Steel Helmet (common armor)
Damage: 1d3 (headbutt) / 1d2 (thrown)
In addition to being useful as a piece of armor, the steel helmet may be used as an improvised cook pot or, with some work, a small game trap.

cool!

It also obscures your features, can be used as a dice cup, is handy for measuring out 1/2 gallon of liquid, and you can store your chewing gum in the inside of the peak...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
colonelclick
Gongfarmer
FLGS: empire games

Post by colonelclick »

Haha thanks, these are a lot of good replies!

Return to “Rules discussion”