Assisted checks

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

yobgorgle
Gongfarmer
FLGS: card kingdom

Assisted checks

Post by yobgorgle »

Sorry if this is in the rules somewhere and I missed it but:

If two (or more) characters work together on, say, a strength check, is there a standard way to handle this? You could of course roll each characters' checks independently. But that doesn't seem right: if five people of average strength try to lift a 200 lb boulder together, they might actually succeed, but one of them alone never would.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Assisted checks

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I add all bonuses, count penalties as zero.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Assisted checks

Post by GnomeBoy »

My take is that it all depends on what's being attempted.

Lifting that rock, I might just say five folks with at least a ten Strength can lift it. Done.

Busting down a door, well, the main person might make a Strength check -- but the "assistant" might need to make an Agility check to help, because that door is in a narrow alcove, and the more important issue is "can you even squeeze in and help in any effective way?".

The circumstances effect how it's resolved.

But the baseline method could be anything from d20 standard rules to whatever you prefer at your table.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”