Spears and thrown weapons in general

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Spears and thrown weapons in general

Post by BanjoJohn »

So I've noticed in some of the modules I've read and in Purple Planet content that some monsters/traps are able to throw spears, instead of say.. javelins.

They aren't really designed to be thrown given the rules for them in the main book, but have people just moved towards allowing their players to throw spears and other weapons as well? I mean there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to throw a weapon, its just a question as to whether it would actually be effective and to what range it would work.

So, when enemies/traps that are listed as being able to throw spears, to what range do you allow the throwing? Do you modify the attack as a -1d or anything like that? Have you started allowing your players to throw spears? Do javelins still have a place in the game once your players are throwing spears?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Spears and thrown weapons in general

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Consider them javelins when thrown. Done.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Consider them javelins when thrown. Done.
Ditto.

The idea of "spear" seems to be confused. I don't know if some cultures make a pointy stick to throw, and some make a pointy stick to jab things with... and then somehow we've come to call them both "spears" or what... But yeah, there are spears which you jab things with, and javelins which you throw -- but sometimes both things get called 'spears'.

Other games have the same issue.

Dare I say it? Ooops, we did it again... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Yeah, but Harley Stroh seems to enjoy having spears thrown, and still do 1d8 damage, instead of using javelins which do 1d6 damage. Hmmmm.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Well, it's his way of handling them then it seems. Doesn't make much difference. Do what thou wilt, just don't sweat on the rules.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Rules discussion”