Roll under vs. DC

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Roll under vs. DC

Post by stripes »

So I was wondering which was "harder" and it occurred to me that roll under is very tightly tied to the ability score while DC is only somewhat influenced by it.

Which only made me more interested in the difference, so I gave in and made a rough graph.

If you have a hard time with the labels the left side is chance of success (0 is "never", 1 is "always") the bottom is the ability score from 3 to 18. The grey curve is roll under chance, the purple is DC5, the pink is DC10, the green is DC 15, the blue is DC20.
Attachments
Image-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg (225.3 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Roll under vs. DC

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think I'm seeing "roll under" as successful all of the time if you have an 18 Ability score. Hurunh??

I use roll under quite a bit, because it's simple, self-limiting and makes different scores actually mean something. For variance, sometimes it's "make it by 2 or more" or things like that, but that's still really simple. And it let's players instantly understand their odds.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stripes »

Brain fart; I was calculating it as roll under on 3d6 not on a d20 (and it was equal or under). I'll make another graph later, the d20version will have more of a straight line.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

stripes wrote:...and it was equal or under...
I think that's normally how folks do a "roll under" check.

Looking forward to v2. :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”