Looting monster/NPC weapons and armor?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Howler
Ill-Fated Peasant

Looting monster/NPC weapons and armor?

Post by Howler »

Are there guidelines for DCC concerning the usability and value of looted monster (or NPC) weapons and armor? Some other game systems have very specific rules indicating that maybe this type of equipment isn't usable, no one will buy it, etc.

For example, let's say an NPC is using an axe which is listed in a stat block for their attack, but not referenced as a specific inventory item. Is it considered usable by players? Will vendors buy it at some discounted rate?

Without specific DCC rules, I'd prefer to say yes, it's usable by the players just like any other axe, but perhaps vendors would only buy it at some significantly discounted price since it's used and maybe not in the best shape.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Looting monster/NPC weapons and armor?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

P. 96:

Recovering armor: When someone is slain, the armor he wears ends up pierced, dented, and otherwise compromised. Armor recovered from a fallen foe (or ally) has a 25% chance of being useless. It can be repaired by an armorer, typically for one-quarter to one-half the original cost of the armor.

Demi-humans are of an unusual physiognomy and cannot wear armor sized for a human. If not otherwise specified, there is a 75% chance that randomly discovered armor is human-sized.

:D

There are rules (Mighty Deeds, Crits, and Fumbles) that can cause a weapon to be damaged. Unless these things happen, I would rule that weapons are almost always recoverable.

When in doubt, roll under Luck.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Howler
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Howler »

That's very helpful. Thank you!

I was incorrectly searching around the equipment section instead of the 'other combat rules'.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Howler wrote:Without specific DCC rules, I'd prefer to say yes, it's usable by the players just like any other axe, but perhaps vendors would only buy it at some significantly discounted price since it's used and maybe not in the best shape.
And don't overlook simply considering the source... An axe formerly owned by a slovenly ogre is probably not in as good a shape as that previously owned by an evil blackguard obsessed with perfection (except as noted above by the esteemed Mr. Crowking).

And as always, Luck is the GM's secret weapon.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Howler wrote:Without specific DCC rules, I'd prefer to say yes, it's usable by the players just like any other axe, but perhaps vendors would only buy it at some significantly discounted price since it's used and maybe not in the best shape.
And don't overlook simply considering the source... An axe formerly owned by a slovenly ogre is probably not in as good a shape as that previously owned by an evil blackguard obsessed with perfection (except as noted above by the esteemed Mr. Crowking).
The Dice Chain is your friend here. A poorly kept longsword might do 1d7, while an excellent (non-magical) longsword does 1d10.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Howler
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Howler »

I appreciate all the tips. I'm running my first game this weekend: Sailors on the Starless Sea. It seems to be well liked :)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Good decision :D

Return to “Rules discussion”