First timer, couple questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JRedmond
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Modern Myths

First timer, couple questions

Post by JRedmond »

I just ran Sailors Starless Sea with a couple friends. We've only played D&D before, wow what a great game DCC is. We were dying laughing during some parts of the game. Anyways on to a couple questions I had:

1. How long is a round? In the tomb it mentions every round you have to make saving throws, I just did one move/one action, is there an official amount of time?
2. Can a Level 0 use a weapon that they didn't start with. Say a Level 0 starts with a dagger, can they use a bow if they find one?
3. Can Level 0s spend luck to add to a roll?
4. What if a character needs to succeed on a DC15 skill check and they roll an 11 with modifier, would you ever tell them the DC so they could spend the appropriate luck if they wanted to?

Thanks!
brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Re: First timer, couple questions

Post by brainszine »

1. A round is 10 seconds.
2. Yes, but the weapon is considered untrained and attacks with 1d16 instead of 1d20.
3. Yes, let them spend Luck.
4. I tell them the DC so they can decide if it's worth it.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

JRedmond wrote:I just ran Sailors Starless Sea with a couple friends. We've only played D&D before, wow what a great game DCC is. We were dying laughing during some parts of the game. Anyways on to a couple questions I had:

1. How long is a round? In the tomb it mentions every round you have to make saving throws, I just did one move/one action, is there an official amount of time?
Approx. 10 seconds. See page 76, Time Keeping
JRedmond wrote:2. Can a Level 0 use a weapon that they didn't start with. Say a Level 0 starts with a dagger, can they use a bow if they find one?
Yes, and the normal penalty is waived for zeroes. See page 24, Weapon Training
Generally, using a weapon without training imposes an attack penalty. However, this penalty is waived for 0-level characters. It is assumed that their naturally poor combat abilities reflect equal incompetence with the martial use of all weapons. (Not to mention that in playtests, applying the attack penalty increases the 0-level death rate to absurd proportions.)
JRedmond wrote:3. Can Level 0s spend luck to add to a roll?
Definitely. Often their survival depends on it.
JRedmond wrote:4. What if a character needs to succeed on a DC15 skill check and they roll an 11 with modifier, would you ever tell them the DC so they could spend the appropriate luck if they wanted to?
Me, yes. With new players I will spell it out, with others I am more likely just to give them a hint.
JRedmond wrote:Thanks!
No prob, Welcome!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

JRedmond wrote:2. Can a Level 0 use a weapon that they didn't start with. Say a Level 0 starts with a dagger, can they use a bow if they find one?
Going over this ground again, just to be super-clear about it:

Zeroes can use any weapons they come across, without penalty (though a Judge could rule that a ballista doesn't count, I suppose). They are proficient with the last weapon they used before hitting Level 1. So if their starting weapon is a dagger, but they took up a sword to deal with a monster and that's when they got enough XP to hit 1st Level, it's the sword proficiency that carries over into 1st.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

And just to give a little flavor to the conversation....

I don't tell them the DC or the AC or whatever is they are trying roll above. I make them burn a point of luck, then I tell them if they succeed...and if not, if they'd like to burn more luck.

OK...so I'll give them a bit of information subtextually - body language, inflection of voice, etc...but not much...

:twisted:

Return to “Rules discussion”