Racial features at 0 level

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mAc Chaos
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Racial features at 0 level

Post by mAc Chaos »

This is one thing that confuses me about DCC character creation.

The races are a class, and they have certain racial features like Halflings and their darkvision. But if level 0 PCs don't have classes, does that mean a level 0 Halfling doesn't have those racial features until they become level 1?

Or do they get only some of the features, and not others? How can I tell, if so.

It seems like they definitely do use some of the class features because I see that it specifies different speeds for them, and I assume a level 0 Halfling has a different speed than humans. Unless he has 30 feet of movement and then suddenly gets docked down to 20 upon leveling up, which doesn't make sense.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Racial features at 0 level

Post by catseye yellow »

page 21, core book.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

So, there are differences at level 0 as Catseye is pointing you to.

In certain groups, I house-rule it so that level 0 PCs have 1 skill based on their profession. For the fighting classes, this is a d6 deed die which only triggers on a natural 6. For the alchemist and similar classes, I allow them to "heal" (although, this is moot if the person has 1 hp). This fits with the races having at least some natural abilities and I include this to balance things out.

David Rose
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Blutimate wrote:S...For the fighting classes, this is a d6 deed die which only triggers on a natural 6. For the alchemist and similar classes, I allow them to "heal" (although, this is moot if the person has 1 hp)...
An interesting idea... But how does it play out if, say, a 'fighting profession' goes on to become a Wizard at Level 1...? Do they keep their on-a-6 Deed Die, or lose it?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”