Newbie question about HD stats and hp numbers in modules

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Newbie question about HD stats and hp numbers in modules

Post by xmiyux »

I feel like I am misunderstanding something and can't find anything in the rulebook... probably due to being a total newbie.

Doesn't HD mean Hit Dice and you roll those to get the number of hitpoints for the character? That is what I thought till I went through several modules I recently purchased and see monsters that have both a HD and an hp number specified.

Am I missing something somewhere?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Newbie question about HD stats and hp numbers in modules

Post by Raven_Crowking »

HD are rolled to determine hit points; hit points are the number rolled. So, for instance, a 0 level character has HD 1d4; hp 2 if he rolled a 2 for his hit points.

The Hit Die information gives you an idea about the power of a creature, but is most likely used for determining what chart to roll on in the event of a critical hit. It is always good to have examples of how creatures are put together, though. Also, some people prefer to roll HD, and ignore the listed hit points.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Raven_Crowking wrote:HD are rolled to determine hit points; hit points are the number rolled. So, for instance, a 0 level character has HD 1d4; hp 2 if he rolled a 2 for his hit points.

The Hit Die information gives you an idea about the power of a creature, but is most likely used for determining what chart to roll on in the event of a critical hit. It is always good to have examples of how creatures are put together, though. Also, some people prefer to roll HD, and ignore the listed hit points.
So when I run folks through the Starless Sea I can have the beast men simply have the three HP they have listed or I could roll for each one (1d6 iirc).

I know it probably sounds amazingly obvious but my plan is to run the funnel and then teach the kids in my school club how the rules work so they can run their own.

So I need to make sure I understand it. :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

xmiyux wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:HD are rolled to determine hit points; hit points are the number rolled. So, for instance, a 0 level character has HD 1d4; hp 2 if he rolled a 2 for his hit points.

So when I run folks through the Starless Sea I can have the beast men simply have the three HP they have listed or I could roll for each one (1d6 iirc).

I know it probably sounds amazingly obvious but my plan is to run the funnel and then teach the kids in my school club how the rules work so they can run their own.

So I need to make sure I understand it. :)
Yup. And if you own enough dice, you can use those d6 you just rolled to track their hp as well. Just leave them face up as they roll, and rotate them to their new hp after damage is taken (if they still survive). If dead, remove them from the area designated for keeping track of them.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”