Halflings mostly weak sauce?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

phamdinhnam02
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Friendly Local Game Store

Halflings mostly weak sauce?

Post by phamdinhnam02 »

Halflings seem weak compared to other classes. Anybody have any experience with them in higher level play tests?
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Halflings mostly weak sauce?

Post by Gameogre »

In my experience with high level play Halflings Rock! They are awesome and not weak sauce at all, just a lot less flashy.

They don't get the Mighty Deeds or spells but there abilities are very nice and a HUGE effect on group play.

The most kick butt Murder Hobo in my game used to be a Halfling. He was just flat out scary and would go through monsters and the occasional fellow party member like a hot knife through butter.

Really in DCCRPG all the class's/ Races had the potential to really be awesome sauce with the right Luck and Attitude.

Also it helps to be a evil sneaky bastard with little morals, contingency plans for contingency plans and a very high pain threshold.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

There's a discussion of this in the Characters section, too.

tl;dr: Depends on the player, the GM, the other characters, the scenarios, etc.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Shingen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Shingen »

As with thieves, I find the luck mechanics to be pretty boss.
SILAS, L, Ostler, S14, A13, S12, P11, I14, L5, AC11, HP3, Staff +1 1d4+1, Init 1, R +1, F0, W0, 10' Chain, Bridle, Path of the bear (Melee damage rolls), Com +1

PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L12, AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

DERVOS, N, Corn Farmer, S13, A8, S8, P12, I13, L13, AC9, HP 1, Pitchfork +1 1d8+2, Init -1, R-1, F-1, W0, Waterskin, hen, Path of the bear (Melee damage rolls) (+1) Com +1

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, S8, A7, S12, P11, I13, L7, AC 9, HP 2, Pitchfork -1 1d8-1, Init -1, R-1, F0, W0, Torch, Goat, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) Com +1
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

phamdinhnam02 wrote:Halflings seem weak compared to other classes. Anybody have any experience with them in higher level play tests?
I agree but most players on the forum don't appear to.

It's largely irrelevant anyway because one doesn't get to choose to be a halfling one is or one isn't 8)

Return to “Rules discussion”