Critical Tables question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Critical Tables question

Post by AQuebman »

So I was playing a little DCC the other night and happened to see a few crits throughout the night from a warrior and a dwarf in the party and looking at the table it made me wonder how in the heck do players ever get to the high end of those tables. The warrior for example was rolling a D12 and then you add in your luck so at most extreme lets say they had a +4 luck the highest they would reach is a 16 on a maximum roll when 28 is the highest amount on the chart. Am I missing something or are we rolling crit tables incorrectly because it seems like the numbers don't match up as one would expect.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Critical Tables question

Post by Ravenheart87 »

What you are missing are a few more levels. On higher levels you roll with bigger and more dice on the critical table. On some levels even the crit table used changes. Just check out the section about your character class to see what table and die you have to use during a crit - eg. a level 6 warrior rolls 1d30 on table V when he crits. Your Judge might also let you burn luck to increase your crit roll.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Ravenheart87 wrote:What you are missing are a few more levels. On higher levels you roll with bigger and more dice on the critical table. On some levels even the crit table used changes. Just check out the section about your character class to see what table and die you have to use during a crit - eg. a level 6 warrior rolls 1d30 on table V when he crits. Your Judge might also let you burn luck to increase your crit roll.
I understand that but by that point your rolling on a new table. The highest die rolled on the crit table III for example is a D12. Do the higher critical options on the lower tables repeat themselves on the higher level tables or something along those lines?

If thats the case then it seems that they added a table thats too large or I guess as you said for GMa who might allow luck burning for crit bonuses.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Monsters get crits, too. Theoretically, you could have an enemy "blackguard" that could use that table with a higher die...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

you can burn luck for any roll. take note that halfling also rolls on 'short' table III and just like a thief he would be able to regenerate burnt luck quickly.

Return to “Rules discussion”