using luck for impossible results

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ten of swords
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Orktown

using luck for impossible results

Post by ten of swords »

So a weird situation came up. A monster grappled a thief and rolled a natural 20 on the grapple check. The thief also rolled a natural 20, but the monster's bonus is higher. Can the thief spend Luck to boost his grapple to a level impossible for him?

Similarly, a thief backstabs with a dagger and does 1d10 damage. Can he spend luck to boost the damage? Can he boost it past its maximum? Can he blow 15 luck on a single damage roll to one-shot the boss?
brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Re: using luck for impossible results

Post by brainszine »

Other modifiers allow "impossible" scores, so why not Luck? I mean, if your weapon does 1d10 damage, your Strength modifier could allow you to cause more than 10 points damage. I would treat burned Luck points the same as any other modifier.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

ten of swords wrote:So a weird situation came up. A monster grappled a thief and rolled a natural 20 on the grapple check. The thief also rolled a natural 20, but the monster's bonus is higher. Can the thief spend Luck to boost his grapple to a level impossible for him?

Similarly, a thief backstabs with a dagger and does 1d10 damage. Can he spend luck to boost the damage? Can he boost it past its maximum? Can he blow 15 luck on a single damage roll to one-shot the boss?
Yes he can

The whole point is to enable the otherwise impossible to be achieved with a large slice of good fortune.

It's like spellburn; that allows a Wizard to exceed his ability too
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

ten of swords wrote:So a weird situation came up. A monster grappled a thief and rolled a natural 20 on the grapple check. The thief also rolled a natural 20, but the monster's bonus is higher. Can the thief spend Luck to boost his grapple to a level impossible for him?

yes and yes. thief is deadly when he decides to pour all his mojo into one strike. that's what assassins do i suppose.
ten of swords
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Orktown

Post by ten of swords »

Seems a bit anticlimactic. Asked and answered, I suppose.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i have been running dcc for about two and a half years now and can tell you that thieves and luck are anything but anticlimactic. just remember that low luck is really a serious issue in dcc. you are more likely to be the one that some random/area stuff happens to, unthinking monsters are more likely to attack you and generally each time judge asks herself 'hm, who should suffer from this incredibly nasty sh*t going down' the answer should be 'the luckless sod'.

Return to “Rules discussion”