Which is a better Conversion to DCC, Pathfinder or S&W

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

soundmana
Ill-Fated Peasant

Which is a better Conversion to DCC, Pathfinder or S&W

Post by soundmana »

There is a product that I would like to buy called Hex Crawl Chronicles by Frog God games. My main concern is converting it over to DCC, the monster stats and traps lethality and such. I'm still a little new with DCC and am still learning where it's borrowing its mechanics from. It looks to me there is alot from D20 (refl, fort, and will) stats, and ascending AC. There doesn't seem to be as much high point bloat that Pathfinder has, looking at the monster HP and stats. In my view DCC seems closer to AD&D or OD&D in this respect.

Hex Crawl Chronicles comes in two different formats, one for Pathfinder, one for S&W Complete( which is close to OD&D w/supplements). I was wondering what everyone's view was on this as maybe then I can make a decision on which version to get to use in my DCC game. I would rather have less work converting over monsters mainly.

I have more experience DMing and playing OD&D/AD&D than Pathfinder if this has any relevance.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Which is a better Conversion to DCC, Pathfinder or S&W

Post by Skars »

It sounds like your questions were largely answered in your own statement. :) Go with the S&W version as it is in a format you are already comfortable with and regardless of which you choose, they won't translate directly. The only reason I would consider the Pathfinder version might have been the DC levels for traps but honestly they are pretty easy to assume.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The Skars are right.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I would go with the S&W version. It will distill the relevant stats down to what is needed vs. having to filter through a Pathfinder stat block pulling out what you need and disregarding the rest.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

My experience with the Hex Crawl stuff is limited to the first one -- The stats/gamey stuff is well separated from the rest of the text, so it's super easy to find and convert. I'd second Swords and Wizardry. It was perfect for my group since we play both S&W and DCC.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Rules discussion”