My DCC Questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

My DCC Questions

Post by Thane »

Hi, I've come back to DCC, but it's been a long time so I have a few questions I'd like to consolidate in this one thread.

Firstly, I see the pdf has been updated to 2nd print run, but has the hard back been reprinted with the current errata updated?

Is there a current errata list for the 2nd print run?

This has probably been asked before, but wanting to run the old classics like the Temple of Elemental Evil, and even basics's Castle Amber, is there a chart/table or something that compares DCC level to other D&D games?

For example, what's 3rd level in DCC as compared to ad&d, and is there a formula for working this out if not chart/table is available?

Page 30
I don’t understand what (for example) Organ Damage: 2 dice means or how it’s used in game

Thanks
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: My DCC Questions

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Thane wrote:Hi, I've come back to DCC, but it's been a long time so I have a few questions I'd like to consolidate in this one thread.
Welcome back! :)
Thane wrote:Firstly, I see the pdf has been updated to 2nd print run, but has the hard back been reprinted with the current errata updated?
Yep. The second printing has index too.
Thane wrote:Is there a current errata list for the 2nd print run?
Here you are: http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... 070512.pdf
Thane wrote:This has probably been asked before, but wanting to run the old classics like the Temple of Elemental Evil, and even basics's Castle Amber, is there a chart/table or something that compares DCC level to other D&D games?

For example, what's 3rd level in DCC as compared to ad&d, and is there a formula for working this out if not chart/table is available?
Check out the Monster Helper here: http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... urces.html
Thane wrote:Page 30
I don’t understand what (for example) Organ Damage: 2 dice means or how it’s used in game
The answer is right there on page 30 in the lay hands description. When you lay hands, you heal a number of dice depending on your spell check. You can sacrifice some dice to heal a condition instead of hit points. Eg. if your cleric heals a Warrior and his spell check result is 2 dice, he can heal 2d12 hit points or an organ damage.
Thane wrote:Thanks
You're welcome. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

Thanks for this Ravenheart87
Ravenheart87 wrote:The answer is right there on page 30 in the lay hands description. When you lay hands, you heal a number of dice depending on your spell check. You can sacrifice some dice to heal a condition instead of hit points. Eg. if your cleric heals a Warrior and his spell check result is 2 dice, he can heal 2d12 hit points or an organ damage.
Yes, but I don't understand any of it.

I understand how you use a class' hit dice to restore hit points

But how do you 'heal a number of dice'?

How do you 'sacrifice some dice'?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Thane wrote:Thanks for this Ravenheart87
Ravenheart87 wrote:The answer is right there on page 30 in the lay hands description. When you lay hands, you heal a number of dice depending on your spell check. You can sacrifice some dice to heal a condition instead of hit points. Eg. if your cleric heals a Warrior and his spell check result is 2 dice, he can heal 2d12 hit points or an organ damage.
Yes, but I don't understand any of it.

I understand how you use a class' hit dice to restore hit points

But how do you 'heal a number of dice'?

How do you 'sacrifice some dice'?
Firstly, to clarify: you don't give up some dice of healing to heal a condition. You do one or the other: Lay on Hands to heal hp damage OR Lay on Hands to heal a condition.

Now to the original question:

You can heal blindness, etc. as listed, using Lay on Hands. In the attempt, you must generate enough dice to cure the condition from the subject. In the case of Organ Damage, well, suppose one of your adventurers had been drinking heavily for a number of years... and the Cleric was going to heal his liver. The Cleric, when using Lay on Hands to do so, would have to generate at least 2 dice of effect for the subject of the LoH, in order to heal his liver. If it were instead that the group had been exposed to a parasite that attacked the heart, the same process would take care of the issue.

You're not healing dice -- the results of the Lay on Hands chart are expressed in dice -- you have to generate the level of effect that would be a certain number of dice, in order to gain the benefit.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Gnomeboy was faster with the clarification. Thanks. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

I see, ok that explains it

Thanks all!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Gnomeboy was faster with the clarification. Thanks. :)
I'm sure it's just a time zone thing... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”