Mercurial Magic - Who uses it?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Mercurial Magic - Who uses it?

Post by Exedor »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Exedor wrote:...MM is too much to manage; we tried but kept forgetting it....
I'm curious -- what makes it too much to manage?

It seems to me, once you've determined it, it's just a note on your spell print-out or character sheet. And after a bit of use, just becomes what the spell is.
Just getting my wizard to find the spell in the rulebook takes long enough. Nor is he quick with the crawlers companion. It's just how he plays and what his focus is on. MM doubled the time it took to cast a lot of his spells. Instead, we focus more on the wheeling and dealing with supernatural forces. There are so many rules to work with that I tend to grab onto the aspects of the game that move the story and interest the players.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Gotcha. Sounds like the right way to do it, then.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

I love both Mercurial Magic and Spell Manifestation results and use them all the time, but I'd have to agree with jozxyqk and Exedor... as fun as these spell tweaks are they can be more than some players are willing to deal with. I think the most consistent comment I've heard from several players now is that applying both to each spell seems a bit redundant. Many of the players seemed to like one or the other, but rarely both, especially when they get stuck with a MM or manifestation result they don't like. After a while I can usually get them more excited about the idea of a spell that causes problems for them. It takes a fair bit of work, but most of them eventually start to enjoy the challenge of making the "broken spell" work for their character.

I wish I could blame WotC on this, but the simple truth is that for most of the last couple of decades magic (as portrayed in D&D at least) has been fairly reliable, steady, and predictable for players. It's been a while, but as I recall i 1st edition spells just happened and then everyone rolled a save. Unless the DM was using some form of 'wild magic' a player with a wizard character could look at their notes and form a good idea of the character's strengths and weaknesses. It's not meta gaming to do any of this, at least no more so than looking at your character sheet, noting that it has a STR of 5, AGIL of 4, and PER 17 and deciding it's going to be a Cleric. DCCRPG throws all that certainty out the window, and some players have trouble adjusting.

It's not that you can't do some of these assessments with DCC wizard characters, if for example, casting one of the spells causes someone they know to die; the player needs to know that and be allowed to decide how that will affect the character's attitudes. Does the player want to run the character as a heartless bastard, or do they want to play a character that would refuse to use the spell on moral grounds. There's a huge potential for RPG wrapped up in just that one little detail, and even ardent role players can get overwhelmed by the avalanche of potential that even a small DCC spell list can provide.

If I ever find myself in a situation where the players simply do not want to deal with both, I've already decided that I will opt to keep the spell manifestations because the need for them is easier to explain.
aesdana
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by aesdana »

When I read that thread, I thought about this one and wondered if one could use those MM tables to help design unique magical items (instead of spells being cast).

MM effects could be interesting side effects for magical items, don't you think so ?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

aesdana wrote:MM effects could be interesting side effects for magical items, don't you think so ?
Jinkies! That's genius.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

aesdana wrote:When I read that thread, I thought about this one and wondered if one could use those MM tables to help design unique magical items (instead of spells being cast).

MM effects could be interesting side effects for magical items, don't you think so ?
Very neat idea. I sometimes decide to create a magic item on the spur of the moment because I find that the story would fit, this will help me a lot!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You'll see me stealing this idea as well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DM Marcus »

GnomeBoy wrote:
aesdana wrote:MM effects could be interesting side effects for magical items, don't you think so ?
Jinkies! That's genius.
Love that idea too! Gonna use that in our game!
aesdana
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by aesdana »

GnomeBoy, Skyscraper, Raven_Crowking & DM Marcus : thanks guys (or gals) ! :D

Return to “Rules discussion”