Wizard Spell Casting Roll

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Disemvowel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Wizard Spell Casting Roll

Post by Disemvowel »

For those who play/ed DCC, how is/was the reaction to how a wizard casts spells, specifically making a check to cast successfully? Any issues or complaints?
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Wizard Spell Casting Roll

Post by smathis »

Generally, it's been positive. The only complaint I had was from a guy playing a Cleric on a night when he simply could not roll above a 9 on his spellchecks. That was a bummer for him.

But no one's reacted negatively thus far. Most people I've played with seem to think the spellcasting is very cool.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

In the few games that I've run so far, the wizard's spells and corruptions as well as the clerics have been so attractive that wizards and clerics are preferred over the other classes/races. Thankfully my wife likes to play thieves; but I keep having to NPC the fighters! :lol: :lol:
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

In my opinion, it is the hallmark of the entire DCC system. From what I've seen, it has been the biggest selling point of the rules so far.
Disemvowel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Disemvowel »

Good to hear, thanks all. I just have jitters over introducing the system, trying to assuage my fears.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Another thing that came to mind: I have found that people find it well worth the risk of failure when they find out that they can cast the spell multiple times.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

cjoepar wrote:Another thing that came to mind: I have found that people find it well worth the risk of failure when they find out that they can cast the spell multiple times.

My Player who is the ONLY wizard in the party, has been very judicious with his magic use. He has suffered only one Misfire from Magic Missile. He almost killed two other party members who were wounded with that.

He said he likes the Wizard, and it reminds him of playing "Wild-Mages" from 2nd Ed. He enjoys and is scared of the corruption and misfire results.

He plays up the whole possibility of losing spells for the day, misfires and corruption rolls by making statements to the group like: "I could die killing him for you, you know!" "Blame not me, but the winds of magic should you suffer as well!" etc. etc.

As we get deeper into playing he is getting over the fact that this Character also has the "Worst Stats I've ever played!" This PC has 4 stats with negative modifiers, one being Intelligence. He also gripes to the other players that "one arrow could kill my guy!"

Yet with the Death of the Warrior that had an 18 str. he is really the most powerful character in the group.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I've found that with spellburn, Wizards are fairly reliable. Definitely the game changers.

Return to “Rules discussion”