My homebrewed DCC classes

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Libertad
Ill-Fated Peasant

My homebrewed DCC classes

Post by Libertad »

One Horse Town's Centaur homebrew inspired me to make my own Dungeon Crawl Classics Class.

Serpent Folk Character Class (DCC RPG)

Occupation; trained weapon; trade goods

Serpent Folk Cultist; Ceremonial Knife (as dagger); rune-embedded bowl
Serpent Folk Scientist; Blowgun; Parchment and Quill Pen
Serpent Folk Primitive; Spear; wicker basket

You are a serpent folk. Descendent of the great empires before mankind, you live in the forlorn reaches of the world where others fear to tread. Men, dwarves, elves, and halflings distrust and fear your kind, although the secret rituals and artifacts of your people make your presence tolerated among hedge magicians, esoteric cults, and antiquarians.

Serpent folk adventure for all kinds of reasons. Some explore ancient ruins and burial sites in the hopes of discovering the truth as to their civilization’s decline. Others have lived among the dangerous wilderness long enough that it has become a way of life. And perhaps most of common of all is the motivation of greed.

Hit Points: Serpent folk gain 1d6 hit points at each level.

Weapon Training: Serpent folk are trained in using blowguns, clubs, daggers, shortbows, slings, spears, and staffs. Serpent Folk are careful in their choice of armor, as it can interfere with spellcasting and their abilities.

Alignment: Serpent folk are generally Chaotic, whether they belong to primitive tribes dotting the ruins of the world or the hidden sorcerer enclaves which survived their empire’s fall. Neutral Serpent folk are generally those who have foresworn their allegiance to the ruling sorcerers or dark patrons, or who are too preoccupied with daily survival to dedicate themselves fully to entropy or order. Lawful Serpent folk are possible, if rare, and tend to be community leaders who decided that the values of the old empire are unsustainable in their circumstances.

Caster Level: Caster level is a measurement of a serpent folk’s power in channeling a spell’s energy. A serpent folk’s caster level is usually his level in the class.

Magic: At the height of their empire, serpent folk were mastering the secrets of the cosmos and trafficking with nameless entities beyond space and time. Serpent folk learn and cast spells in the same manner as a Wizard.

Infravision: Serpent folk can see in the dark up to 60’.

Fangs: Serpent folk gain an additional attack with their fangs in melee. The attack uses an Action Dice of 1d20, and deals 1d4 points of damage.

Vulnerabilities: Serpent folk are cold-blooded and rely upon external sources of heat to maintain warmth, and as such fare poorly in cool climates. In areas where the temperature dips below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, they suffer 1 hit point of damage per day if they cannot find a reliable heat source. In below freezing temperatures (32 degrees or less), they suffer 1 hit point of damage per hour instead.

Serpent Folk Speed: Same rate as humans (30’).

Languages: At 1st level, a serpent folk automatically knows Common, the serpent folk racial language, plus one additional randomly determined language. A serpent folk knows one additional language for every point of Int modifier, as described in Appendix L.

Luck: At 1st level, a serpent folk’s Luck modifier applies to spell checks involving Ritualized Magic (pg. 124).

Action Dice: A serpent folk’s action dice is used for spell checks. At 5th level, he gains a second action die.

Table

Level; Attack; Crit Die/Table; Action Dice: Known Spells; Max Spell Level; Ref; Fort; Will

1; +0; 1d8/I; 1d20; 3; 1; +0; +1; +1
2; +1; 1d8/I; 1d20; 4; 1; +0; +1; +1
3; +2; 1d8/I; 1d20; 5; 2; +1; +1; +2
4; +2; 1d8/II; 1d20; 6; 2; +1; +2; +2
5; +3 1d10/II; 1d20+1d14; 7; 3; +1; +2; +3
6; +4; 1d10/II; 1d20+1d16; 8; 3; +2; +2; +4
7; +5; 1d12/II; 2d20; 9; 4; +2; +3; +4
8; +5; 1d14/II; 2d20; 10; 4; +2; +3; +5
9; +6; 1d16/II; 2d20; 12; 5; +3; +3; +5
10; +7; 1d20/II; 2d20+1d14; 14; 5; +3; +4; +6

Serpent Folk Titles

Level; Titles (all alignments)
1st Fledgling
2nd Practioner
3rd Spellspeaker
4th Lorekeeper
5th Sorcerer
Libertad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: My homebrewed DCC classes

Post by Libertad »

Deep One Character Class (DCC RPG)

Occupation; weapons; trade goods

Deep one fish herder; spear; net
Deep one gold merchant; dagger; 7 gp
Deep one land-scout; trident (as polearm); shield

You’re a Deep one, born in undersea communities untouched and unseen by men and elves. Much of your kind has dealt with humanity on amicable terms, exchanging gold, pearls, and jewelry in exchange for service and devotion. But many realms aren’t so open-minded, and view your people as ghastly abominations. Although you can easily slip back under the waves in the event of war, discretion is the better part of valor and so you covertly maintain your relationship with sympathetic land-dwellers.

Deep ones adventure on both land and sea, for all manner of reasons. Perhaps they seek to contact new towns and establish trade, maybe they seek converts to Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, or maybe they crave the secrets held within the ruins and caves of the land-dwellers.

Hit Points: Deep ones gain 1d8 hit points per level.

Weapon Training: Deep ones are trained in using clubs, crossbows, daggers, javelins, lances, longswords, polearms, and spears. They can wear any armor they can afford, but they refrain from using particularly heavy armor when swimming.

Attack Modifier: A deep one does not receive a fixed attack modifier at each level. Instead, they receive a deed die, just as a warrior.

Mighty Deed of Arms: Deep ones physiology is optimized for aggressive fighting, and they’re raised in harsh environments where every citizen is expected to take up arms in defense of the community. Like warriors, they can perform Mighty Deeds of Arms.

Alignment: Deep ones can be of any alignment, although most of them are Neutral. Deep ones dedicated to the worship of their creators and/or Cthulhu view the struggles of Law and Chaos as petty in contrast to the scope of the cosmos, as well as antithetical to the preservation of nature. Lawful deep ones are generally members of communities very close to human coastal towns, and as such have adopted the customs and culture of mankind. Chaotic deep ones usually belong to cults of Bobugbubilz, swayed by the temptations and promises of power offered by this fell entity.

Infravision: Deep ones can see in the dark up to 60’.

Natural Weapons: A deep one has a toothy maw full of razor-sharp teeth, and clawed fingernails at the ends of their webbed hands. These attacks deal 1d6 points of damage each, and can use one of these natural weapons as a second attack (using a 1d14 instead of a 1d20), adding his deed die to the roll. This natural attack can be used in conjunction with a manufactured weapon or another natural attack, and can attempt a Mighty Deed of Arms with these attacks. Deep ones with multiple attack dice still receive only one extra natural weapon attack.

Amphibious: A deep one can survive on land or underwater indefinitely without suffering the dangers of drowning. Other harmful environmental effects, such as smoke fumes, can affect the deep one normally.

Deep One Speed: Deep ones have the same land speed as humans (30’), and can swim as fast as a human can run. Barring stormy waters or significantly heavy loads, a deep one can maneuver around in water without difficulty.

Languages: At 1st level, a deep one automatically knows Common, the deep one racial language, plus one additional randomly determined language. A deep one knows one additional language for every point of Int modifier, as described in Appendix L.

Luck: Deep ones add their Luck modifier to attacks with their natural weapons.

Action Dice: A deep one uses his action dice for attack rolls. He gains a second die at 5th level.

Table

Level; Attack (Deed Die); Crit Die/Table; Action Dice; Ref; Fort; Will
1; +d3; 1d10/III; 1d20; +1; +1; +1
2; +d4; 1d12/III; 1d20; +1; +1; +1
3; +d5; 1d14/III; 1d20; +1; +2; +1
4; +d6; 1d16/IV; 1d20; +2; +2; +2
5; +d7; 1d20/IV; 1d20+1d14; +2; +3; +2
6; +d8; 1d24/V; 1d20+1d16; +2; +4; +2
7; +d10+1; 1d30/V; 2d20; +3; +4; +3
8; +d10+2; 1d30/V; 2d20; +3; +5; +3
9; +d10+3; 2d20/V; 2d20; +3; +5; +3
10; +d10+4; 2d20/V; 2d20+1d14; +4; +6; +4

Deep One Titles

Level; Lawful Title; Neutral Title; Chaotic Title

1st; Missionary; Citizen; Outcast
2nd; Emissary; Soldier; Vagabond
3rd; Diplomat; Guardian; Abolisher
4th; Land-friend; Blessed One; Darkspeaker
5th; Two-worlder; Exalted One; Voidswimmer
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Nice unusual homebrew classes. Very well written. I particularly like the Deep One.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Amazing. Keep up the good work and bring on the monstrosities. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Libertad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Libertad »

Thanks! :)

Here's another class I brewed up.

Orc Character Class (DCC RPG)

Occupation; weapons; trade goods

Orc berserker; warhammer; leather armor
Orc scout; short bow; rope 50’
Orc skirmisher; short sword; shield

You’re an orc, feared by men and monster alike for your people’s warlike ways. Orcs battle each other for status and glory even when at ‘peace,’ so you’re always alert and expecting danger. Eager to prove themselves, orcs take to adventuring easily, whether it’s to slay a legendary beast or sack the riches of an enemy city.

Hit Points: Orcs gain 1d10 hit points per level.

Weapon Training: Orcs are trained in the battleaxe, club, dagger, handaxe, javelin, lance, longbow, longsword, mace, polearm, shortbow, short sword, sling, spear, staff, two-handed sword, and the warhammer. Orcs wear whatever armor they can afford.

Attack Modifier: An orc does not receive a fixed attack modifier at each level. Instead, they receive a deed die, just as a warrior.

Mighty Deeds of Arms: Orcs live for battle, and are very creative when it comes to finding new ways to kill creatures (and each other). Like warriors, they can perform Mighty Deeds of Arms.

Alignment: The vast majority of orcs are Chaotic, raised in a culture where one’s worth in society is determined by their ability to hold power and use it to command others. A few orc tribes have realized the benefit of unity and self-sacrifice in the face of a greater threat, and have adopted Lawful attitudes. Neutrality, with its emphasis on detachment and emphasis on the vastness of the cosmos, is alien to the orcish way of life and as such is unheard of among their kind.

Infravision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60’.

Trophy Kill: When an orc slays an exceptional foe in melee combat, he can hack or rip off a body part of the creature and hold it up for all to see (war cry optional, but recommended). Said foe must have an equal or greater number of hit dice to the orc to qualify as “exceptional.” This action brings newfound resolve to the orc and his allies, granting them all a +2 bonus on Will saving throws. Said allies must be capable of witnessing the orc’s act in order to benefit.

Second Skin: Orcs are no stranger to armor, be it as simple as padded leather or as elaborate as chainmail. Orcs apply -1d to the fumble die of worn armor.

Raw Power: Orcs can perform amazing feats of strength when they put their minds to it. They add their level as a bonus on breaking down doors, bending bars, and lifting gates.

Orc Speed: Orcs can move as fast as a human (30’).

Languages: At 1st level, an orc speaks Common, the orcish racial language, plus one additional randomly determined language. An orc knows one additional language for every point of Int modifier, as described in Appendix L.

Luck: Orcs add their Luck modifier to one specific kind of weapon, just like a warrior. This weapon must be chosen at 1st level, and remains fixed even if his Luck modifier changes.

Action Dice: An orc receives a second action die at 5th level. Orcs always use their action dice for attacks.

Table

Level; Attack (Deed Die); Crit Die/Table; Action Dice; Ref; Fort; Will
1; d3; d10/III; d20; +1; +1; +1
2; d4; d12/III; d20; +1; +1; +1;
3; d5; d14/III; d20; +1; +2; +1
4; d6; d16/IV; d20; +2; +2; +2
5; d7; d20/IV; d20+d14; +2; +3; +2
6; d8; d24/V; d20+d16; +2; +4; +2
7; d10+1; d30/V; 2d20; +3; +4; +3
8; d10+2; d30/V; 2d20; +3; +5; +3
9; d10+3; 2d20/V; 2d20; +3; +5; +3
10; d10+4; 2d20/V; 2d20+d14; +4; +6; +4

Orc Titles (all alignments)

1st Peon
2nd Veteran
3rd Ravager
4th Slayer
5th Battlemaster
Libertad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Libertad »

I forgot to include this in the Serpent Folk entry, so you can choose to add it in if you want:

Human Disguise: Once per day, a serpent folk can case an illusion spell which causes its head to appear like that of a specific person. The illusion is complete (affecting all 5 senses) and is considered to have a spell check result of 30 for the purposes of dispelling or disbelieving. A serpent folk can reveal its true form if it wishes.

Also, I forgot to include entries for 0-level demihumans.

Serpent Folk have infravision and vulnerabilities.

Deep Ones have infravision and amphibious.

Orcs have infravision.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

Thanks for posting these. I'm working on an Atlantean class right now and these have inspired me to finish it up.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

My only....suggestion? criticism seems too harsh a word...is regarding the serpent folk's reaction to cold.

I'd suggest a slightly minor change: between 50 - 32 degrees F, serpent folk experience an Agility penalty (-4 to any Agility-based activities). During combat, they are automatically considered last in initiative ranks and can only take 1 action (even if they're normally allowed more than one) per turn.

Any conditions below 32 degrees F cause serpent folk to desire to brumate, which means they immediately seek a hibernaculum--shelter within which to hibernate. While in their hibernaculum, their only action is to occasionally drink water--they cannot move any distance or communicate, nor do they need to eat, as they're in 'suspended animation'. If they're unable to find/construct a hibernaculum, they suffer -1 HP damage per day.

If you like it, cool--feel free to re-word it in "DCC RPG-speak". If not, that's cool too--I liked the concept you came up with, but it seemed a bit too harsh (-1 HP every hour? OUCH!) and I liked the idea of adding reptiles' hibernation behaviors to the mix. Admittedly, yours is easier--which is in keeping with DCC RPG.... ;)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Today's Word Of The Day: Brumate.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:Today's Word Of The Day: Brumate.
Personally, I found "hibernaculum" to be the far superior word. :D
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Shhh! You're spoiling tomorrow's word!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

:: shame ::

:oops:
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Brunette? Where?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Brunette? Where?
She's over there, in the hibernaculum.

Return to “Rules discussion”