Short descriptive write up, and notes on any specific spells they would grant Clerics.
This is the write up I use. The idea for me is to make the god very integral to the lives of everyone -- with High Holy Days, ceremonies, and "Mysteries" which are powers that a cleric can be allowed to learn -- as a reward for service, etc. The Aligned/Neutral/Opposed continuum is necessary, especially for the clerical healing power. I haven't yet added "unholy creatures" for the purposes of turning.
I'm using Ceremonies as a ready role-playing vehicle -- this gives the cleric a "place" in the world. Blessing certain mundane actions (marriages, births, funerals) and then additional blessings related to the god's sphere of influence. These, I've found, also make great hooks for the cleric character -- a high priest could send the cleric to a village to perform the Tradewind ceremony on the fishing fleet for the season -- adventure proceeds from there.
Probably overkill, but I feel like the Patron system added a level of detail that has such widespread potential to enhance the depth of the game. Gods
certainly shouldn't be left out, since they are technically even more pervasive than Patrons
as far as the society at large goes. Udjen (Dasé)
The Father Merchant (The Fat Slaver); Wealth, Culture, Negotiation, and PowerAligned Powers:
Spaeluc, Ymeick, Olorifriit, ShalavimNeutral Powers:
All Elven godsOpposed Powers:
Galabdoth and Hedra , All Kregin and Vanar gods
High Holy Day:
- Influence: The cleric can make a Spell Check (CL 4) to change a subject’s attitude one step. (CL 6) affects 2d4 HD humanoids. (CL 10) affects 2d8 HD humanoids and monsters.
- Rally: The cleric can make a Spell Check (CL 4 ) to change an ally’s morale by one step. (CL 6 ) affects 2d4 HD humanoids. (CL 10 ) affects 2d8 HD humanoids and animals.
Trade Wind (Jarun 42-47) , Rime (Avaril ~4), Fat Market (Bleak 16-25)Ceremonies
- Blessings of the Father – (CL 8 ) – Marriage pact
- Trade Wind – (CL 4 ) – Blessing on ship or caravan
- Boon of the Fat Market (CL 8 ) – Sales are 10% higher
- Rime of the Master (CL 4 ) – Ceremony marking the end of Winter
- Render to the Father – Prayer three times daily and 20% tithing per month.
- Light of Civilization – On pain of slavery, bring civilization to the barbarian.
- Protector of the Coin - Engage in commercial prospects that spread the wealth of the Father.
AKA Paul WolfeThe Mystic Bull:
Our new publishing website. Have a submission? PM me.In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF)
: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!The God-Seed Awakens
: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal! My Gamer Profile