Mighty Deed of Arms: Volley of Arrows

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Mighty Deed of Arms: Volley of Arrows

Post by Vanguard »

A Warrior using a shortbow or longbow can attempt to fire a volley of arrows as their mighty deed. A Warrior may fire one additional arrow per attack per action die. The success of whether both arrows hit or not is determined with a single attack roll. A skilled Marksman may even try to split their shots between two or more enemies.

If the deed fails but the attack succeeds, roll damage normally for the arrow that hit; the other fell short or went long. If the deed succeeds, apply results as appropriate:

3 Roll 1d3 damage for each arrow that hit.
4 Roll 1d4 damage for each arrow that hit.
5 Roll 1d5 damage for each arrow that hit.
6 Roll 1d6 damage for each arrow that hit.
7+ Roll 1d7 damage for each arrow that hit.

These effects are not added to the damage roll, but replace the normal dice used.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Mighty Deed of Arms: Volley of Arrows

Post by beermotor »

So if you do this at level 1, and succeed, you're basically rolling 2d3 for damage instead of 1d6? Better average damage, but I think you've got a better mathematical shot at a 6 on a d6.

It's not bad, though. I think maybe marksman-deeds will tend to develop along the lines of like Hawkeye from the Avengers... maybe some automatic critical hits through the eyes and stuff like that.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Mighty Deed of Arms: Volley of Arrows

Post by Vanguard »

Exactly, you get a better bell curve, but only a 1/9 to score the minimum or maximum damage. It also boosts your minimum damage if you aim against a single target.

The real benefit comes at higher levels. For example, assuming a +0 Str modifier, a 1st level Warrior can dish out 5-9 damage on a roll of 3.

At 2nd level, that same warrior can dish out 6-12 damage on a roll of 4.

At 3rd level, that same warrior can dish out 7-15 damage.

Personally, I think it scales quite nicely.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/

Return to “Rules discussion”