Do Wizards require a patron to be able to cast spells?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Do Wizards require a patron to be able to cast spells?

Post by cthulhudarren »

If not than how does corruption work, generic random? Is being able to invoke their patron really worth it when you get to be indebted to them for the effort?
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Do Wizards require a patron to be able to cast spells?

Post by Vanguard »

They do not require a Patron as they don't receive it automatically (Elves, however, do). When you roll a natural 1, it asks you to roll another die to determine if you suffer taint, corruption, or misfire. Usually the entry says, "Patron taint or corruption).

It's specific to each spell, unless it calls for generic corruption.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Vanguard wrote:They do not require a Patron as they don't receive it automatically (Elves, however, do). When you roll a natural 1, it asks you to roll another die to determine if you suffer taint, corruption, or misfire. Usually the entry says, "Patron taint or corruption).

It's specific to each spell, unless it calls for generic corruption.
To me it seems that the patron spells must be really awesome to be worth the effort. What I read in the rulebook mostly was not all that great. Do Patron spells take up "spells known" slots?
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

They do not. A player receives Invoke Patron after casting Patron Bond. Depending on how well they succeed at their bond determines whether or not they get access to the Patron Spells at all.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/

Return to “Rules discussion”