Burn Luck to Increase Damage?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

skinnyghost
Ill-Fated Peasant

Burn Luck to Increase Damage?

Post by skinnyghost »

Can you? It seems to me that luck guides your hand to the target, not your muscles to inflict damage. What do you think? The rules seem unclear.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Burn Luck to Increase Damage?

Post by beermotor »

You may burn Luck to add to a roll. Any roll. Damage is a roll. QED.
skinnyghost
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by skinnyghost »

fantastic!
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

beermotor wrote:You may burn Luck to add to a roll. Any roll. Damage is a roll. QED.
That said, I don't think a Deed Die roll or your Hit Point die roll can be improved by Luck...
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

phg wrote:
beermotor wrote:You may burn Luck to add to a roll. Any roll. Damage is a roll. QED.
That said, I don't think a Deed Die roll or your Hit Point die roll can be improved by Luck...
This is correct. Deeds need to be natural, like critical hits. Hit Points are not a roll in the sense that your character is aware of them.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Vanguard wrote:Hit Points are not a roll in the sense that your character is aware of them.
...interesting.

I don't think of character being aware of any rolls. I don't even necessarily think the rolls reflecting the 'skill level' of a character, as much as it might be the 'chance that something does or doesn't happen (and only partly based on the 'skill' of the character)'.

But maybe that's just me. The evidence I've seen in the last decade or so suggests that it is.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Hit Points are not a roll in the sense that your character is aware of them.
...interesting.

I don't think of character being aware of any rolls. I don't even necessarily think the rolls reflecting the 'skill level' of a character, as much as it might be the 'chance that something does or doesn't happen (and only partly based on the 'skill' of the character)'.

But maybe that's just me. The evidence I've seen in the last decade or so suggests that it is.
What I mean by this is that gaining more hit points is not an intentional action which you can burn luck to increase. Attempting a Mighty Deed, casting a spell, searching for traps--these are all actions which you are consciously trying to perform. Your hit points increasing is an abstraction of the process of you becoming more resilient.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Vanguard wrote:What I mean by this is that gaining more hit points is not an intentional action which you can burn luck to increase. Attempting a Mighty Deed, casting a spell, searching for traps--these are all actions which you are consciously trying to perform. Your hit points increasing is an abstraction of the process of you becoming more resilient.
I get you. But I also know that some people think of a saving throw as always being something their character is aware of and does actively, whereas if I'm asked to make a saving throw, my character isn't noticing anything until there is a narrative description, and that's how I play it, i.e., you might be aware of something impinging on your mind and actively try to resist it (aware of 'save') or you might not be aware, but it nonetheless might not be a foregone conclusion that it affects you (not aware of the 'save'). It is sometimes a fine distinction, and one that can be hard to describe or discuss clearly.

Back on topic: what if you could burn luck for temporary hit points? Might be worth it in the right situation...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Vanguard wrote: Back on topic: what if you could burn luck for temporary hit points? Might be worth it in the right situation...
Typically, you can only burn Luck to modify a roll, so what roll are you thinking would be modified? Or are you thinking of introducing another temp-hp-specific usage of Luck burning?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I was just spitballing, really. It was just something that popped into my head, like you just took a hit that knocked you to -1 hp -- burn 2 luck (1 for a Halfling) and you're still running around for the moment at 1 hp...

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to burn luck on an MDoA roll. The Luck mechanic is there to be used in exactly that sort of situation. Remember, it's permanent burn for a warrior. Some might come back at the end of the module, but maybe not.

I would not allow burning Luck on HP rolls, though. Doesn't seem right.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

GnomeBoy wrote:I was just spitballing, really. It was just something that popped into my head, like you just took a hit that knocked you to -1 hp -- burn 2 luck (1 for a Halfling) and you're still running around for the moment at 1 hp...
Oh, that is what you meant? I don't think the rules say that you can burn luck to reduce the judge's damage roll, but you can burn luck to increase your own damage roll, or burn luck to increase a saving throw against said damage, etc. Your luck does (potentially) lower crit damage by monsters, but you don't have to burn any for that.
Terry Olson
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:I don't see why you shouldn't be able to burn luck on an MDoA roll....
Deeds, from what I've seen and what I've heard, seem mighty awesome already. I'm pretty sure the rules don't intend you to modify the Deed Die with Luck Burn -- however you can Burn for a higher attack result, which helps the Deed succeed, obviously.
Pesky wrote:Oh, that is what you meant?....
Yeah, the rules don't say it -- just throwing out an idea. I'm okay if it doesn't stick for anyone...

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

beermotor wrote:I don't see why you shouldn't be able to burn luck on an MDoA roll. The Luck mechanic is there to be used in exactly that sort of situation. Remember, it's permanent burn for a warrior. Some might come back at the end of the module, but maybe not.

I would not allow burning Luck on HP rolls, though. Doesn't seem right.
Mighty Deeds are like critical hits, even if you roll a total of 20, it's not a critical hit unless it's a natural 20. Likewise, you can burn luck to increase the attack and damage bonuses from your deeds die, but the bonuses do not affect the success or failure of the MDoA, only the success of the attack.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

For the record, the rules state on page 95:
Luck is typically used to affect a character's attack rolls, damage rolls, spells checks, thief checks, and saving throws, but it can also be used for other purposes.
The rules also say that Luck can modify rolls in life or death situations, so I think a GM would be well within the guidelines if he or she wanted to rule that Luck could only be spent in dramatically appropriate situations. Just throwing that out there to chew on. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

As a GM, I allow it ( luck for MDoA). Don't know if that is the intent of the rules but if the warrior wants that kill, they are welcome to test the gods for it.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Performing a Mighty Deed involves a roll - so Luck may be burnt to augment the result.

However, it is my opinion that the roll involved is Action Die+Deed Die, and not two separate rolls of Action Die and Deed Die, so the Luck burnt only augments the total roll result (whether it hits or not) and not the level of success for the Deed itself (can't burn luck to roll a 7 on a d3, for example).

I feel further supported in my assumption by high level characters - a warrior or dwarf with 3 action dice rolls his Deed die once and adds the result to all 3 action dice rolls that he makes... and can burn Luck to add to each one individually, but may not burn Luck to add to the Deed die thereby adding to all 3 action dice without paying for all 3 individually.

...and it makes a basic kind of sense when you think about how high level warriors and dwarfs get attack dice like 1d10+3, but still only count the natural roll of the die when figuring their Deed success or failure.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

TheNobleDrake wrote:However, it is my opinion that the roll involved is Action Die+Deed Die, and not two separate rolls of Action Die and Deed Die, so the Luck burnt only augments the total roll result (whether it hits or not) and not the level of success for the Deed itself (can't burn luck to roll a 7 on a d3, for example).

I feel further supported in my assumption by high level characters - a warrior or dwarf with 3 action dice rolls his Deed die once and adds the result to all 3 action dice rolls that he makes... and can burn Luck to add to each one individually, but may not burn Luck to add to the Deed die thereby adding to all 3 action dice without paying for all 3 individually.

...and it makes a basic kind of sense when you think about how high level warriors and dwarfs get attack dice like 1d10+3, but still only count the natural roll of the die when figuring their Deed success or failure.
Well argued TND! I agree with you.
Terry Olson

Return to “Rules discussion”