Race separate from Class

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Race separate from Class

Post by Gameogre »

How about we take the best of everything and mix it all together?

Remove race from class but keep things unbalanced. Humans still get the shaft a little but just about EVERYONE is human. New characters still roll on the charts like always,if you want to BE a Elf you better,roll a Elf!

This stops the bland all races are the same issue,the everyone will just play X race issue and the my 5 int Elf can't be a warrior issue.

Now if you have players who just HAVE to play a Elf...well,start funneling son! You might just roll one up eventually! Now getting that poor guy THROUGH the funnel,that's gonna be harder.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

Eyeball360 wrote:I guess to some people, allowing someone to play to a strength is min/maxing, but then why let anyone decide what class they want to be, why not make the humans randomly roll for class as well?
When I started the funnel for our campaign two years ago, one of the players, upon reaching first level, announced that his human was going to roll randomly for class because "that was the spirit of DCC." He had great stats from the straight-3d6 method: 17 agility, 16 strength, 13 intelligence. Only one bad stat: 7 personality. So he rolls "cleric" and everybody laughs at him. But he decided to play it. He ended up being one of the most memorable characters I've ever had in a campaign.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

The way I figure it is that there are a million and one "elf games" out there so one of them should probably work for you without having to do all of the house-ruling and other crap. But hey, it's your game. So if house-ruling out race-as-class works for you and your group, then more power to you.

Personally I never liked race-as-class back in the day when I got the Red Box and quickly made the switch to the more "mature" and "advanced" 1st edition rules when I started playing in junior high. But with DCC RPG, I realized I just needed to let myself go with the flow and not try to fight the rules so much and once I could shift my frame of mind I discovered that race-as-class works really well.

And for those stretches of time when we don't want to be governed quite so much by the whims of fate, our little group switches to something like Swords & Wizardry Complete or Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea in different campaigns with different GMs and then we get to experience some nice variations on a theme without having to hack into things too deeply all of the time.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

NJPDX wrote:The way I figure it is that there are a million and one "elf games" out there so one of them should probably work for you without having to do all of the house-ruling and other crap.
Easier to house-rule one or two things in a game you otherwise prefer than going through a million and one games looking for someone else having done what you can do in a few minutes to an hour (depending upon the house rule). Also, for some people, widgetting the game to make it fit your specific needs is part of the fun.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”