+ 1 shields

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

+ 1 shields

Post by Dagonazrael »

Some published modules list +1, + 2 etc shields (e.g. Doom of the Savage Kings has a +1 buckler and the +2 Lion Shield). Do such items confer those bonuses to AC or shield attack rolls, or do they only confer the listed benefits (e.g. Lion Shield's Will Save bonus) with the modifier otherwise conferring only a sense of the item's significance/ power?
Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: + 1 shields

Post by Dagonazrael »

Bump
Roderick Usher
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Roderick Usher »

The way I would play this-- unless otherwise specified, the plus bonus of the shield would be conferred upon every benefit it conveys. The Lion shield seems a bit different since it specifically states it's a Will plus. I might not give it the other benefits since this is a first level adventure. Maybe Harley will weigh in on what he intended. :?:

RU
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

This is definitely a case where I bring in bias from other games. Without the question being asked I wouldn't even have stopped to question that these shields give that plus bonus to AC as well as whatever other "special" powers they have.
Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dagonazrael »

It's pretty huge if a shield gives an *additional* +2 to AC.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

[Edit, just realized my math is all wrong. The amount less in damage is totally dependent on what roll was needed to hit the character before the bonus. If the opponent would hit on an 11 or higher on the d20 before and it is now a 13 or higher that they need that is a 20% change, not 10%. So, edits to reflect this assumption below.]

Well, yes to an extent. Put another way, a +2 shield, if the bonus applies to AC, will generally enable a character to take 20% less damage in combat over time. Considering that it likely will go to a fighter, 20% is less of a benefit than the fighter will get for going up a level in terms of additional hit points. Even a cleric on average has 7 hit points at first level and gaining 4.5 per level is better off with another level than a +2 on AC until about 4th/5th level.

Not to downplay that this magical item would be hugely valuable and highly coveted. But, it would hardly break the game play. At low levels it would fall somewhere between finding an occasionally useful item and gaining a level in terms of power increase. And, powerful magic like this can attract powerful forces who wish to take it from you.

Return to “Rules discussion”