Burning Luck

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Burning Luck

Post by Thane »

Say I have Luck 14 (+1), and I’m not a thief/Halfling.

I burn 4 points, so my Luck is now 10 (+0)

Because Luck is used for listen checks, does this now mean I can’t hear as well as I once could?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Burning Luck

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Thane wrote:Say I have Luck 14 (+1), and I’m not a thief/Halfling.

Because Luck is used for listen checks, does this now mean I can’t hear as well as I once could?
It's not how well you hear, but the chance to notice something you wouldn't otherwise. I would use it for perception checks too: it's not your intelligence that determines, whether you step into a pile of dogpoop or not.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

Pages 360-361 talks a lot about losing and gaining luck, but I'm not sure if this is referring to the actual luck attribute or the modifier?
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blustar »

Ravenheart87 wrote:

It's not how well you hear, but the chance to notice something you wouldn't otherwise. I would use it for perception checks too: it's not your intelligence that determines, whether you step into a pile of dogpoop or not.
I think a smart person could avoid stepping in a pile if he were perceptive enough don't you? In my games, I've also changed perception ( listening, searching, etc. . .) checks to Intelligence too. It made more sense to us.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Blustar wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:I think a smart person could avoid stepping in a pile if he were perceptive enough don't you? In my games, I've also changed perception ( listening, searching, etc. . .) checks to Intelligence too. It made more sense to us.
If he was perceptive... I know a lot of smart persons who aren't. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I use Int for active perception checks only because it makes more sense to me. But I use Luck for passive checks because that also makes more sense. Also, when in doubt, I use Luck.

Also, I've been using "Luck Tests", roll XdX under your score, to succeed. Typically 3d6, sometimes more sometimes less.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

Thane wrote:Pages 360-361 talks a lot about losing and gaining luck, but I'm not sure if this is referring to the actual luck attribute or the modifier?
Anyone?
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by toadlike »

I have a question of my own.

It says in PG 19 that the LUCK modifier doesn't change over time. Does this apply only to the character's LUCKY roll or would it also affect a listen check?
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

toadlike wrote: I have a question of my own.

It says in PG 19 that the LUCK modifier doesn't change over time. Does this apply only to the character's LUCKY roll or would it also affect a listen check?
This applies only to the Lucky Roll. Also applies to the Warrior's Lucky Weapon.

Your listen check, if using luck (personally don't do so every time, only when it makes sense) would change as your luck changes.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

toadlike wrote: I have a question of my own.

I have taken it to mean the luck modifier does not change, regardless of what your pool of luck is doing. So if your luck pool goes down to 3, and you had a +3 originally because of an 18 score, then you still have the +3.

Doing it this way, anything I have the players do that involves luck, its roll under your luck. I am going to say that the highest luck you can accumulate is 18. So far it has not happened.

I love the "roll under your luck" because it really mitigates the burning of luck. Big bad monster has choice of two characters to attack. Roll under your luck boys and girls, first to fail gets the attack!!

Return to “Rules discussion”