Tried searching,but too many entries and not about my ?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

OldSoul
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game Goblins

Tried searching,but too many entries and not about my ?

Post by OldSoul »

I know that characters that use feed dice don't "have a static bonus", but does the relevant stat also get thrown into the calculation?

For example, a 1st level warrior with a 10 STR gets 1d3 in deed dice to hit and damage.

If that same character had a 14 STR would they have 1d3+1 to hit and damage, with only the d3 part used to determine the success or fail of a mighty deed?

I ask because the way it's written (that I have found since starting this weekend) you could have some seriously sucking physical stats and be just as good a warrior as one with high stats.

Also, it doesn't specify melee attacks, so do deed dice apply to hit and damage of ranged weapons as well?

Thanks for replying.
Judge Blackthorn
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Y2Komics, GenerationX, Geek Out

Re: Tried searching,but too many entries and not about my ?

Post by Judge Blackthorn »

Think you already got the correct answer on Reddit, but STR or AGI modifiers should apply. Deed die only replaces the need for a static class bonus.
PbP Purple Planeteers

Duke - Wizard C Trapper
S12(11) A9 S9 P16(2) I17(2) L14(1) AC 10 HP 4 Mov 30
Init 0 Ref +1 Fort 0 Will +3 SP +3 crit 1d6/I +1 Spell Dam
{Enlarge (93) — Sleep (66&81) — Color Spray (90)}
{Patron Bond (32-sun) — Invoke Patron (70) — Find Familiar (25)}
{Chill Touch (69&86) — Lang: PC (beg) dragon, hobgoblin, chaos}
Glad chain mail (+/-4) (not worn) Torch, Flint and Steel, 25cp

Blackthorn - Thief N Hunter
S9 A13 S11 P7(1) I16(2) L9 AC 11 HP 7 Mov 25 Init +1
Ref +2 Fort +1 Will -1 Crit 1d10/II Luck Die D3
{Backstab 0 Sneak 4 Hide 2 Pick Pockets 4}
{Climb 4 Pick Locks 2 Find Traps 3 Disable Traps 2 Forge 4}
{Disguise -1 Read Lang 2 Handle Poison 0 Spell/Scroll D12+2}
Lang: Neutral, cant, halfling
Glad scale mail (+/-3) (not worn) Glad 2H Sword (1d10)
Backpack, Flask, Badger Pelt, Skin Cloak, 20sp, 65 cp

Kettering (RIP) skewered on a Kith Spear
Leibgott (RIP) Asphyxiated on his own blood
Thelonious (RIP) - Kith spear through his tiny halfling heart
OldSoul
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game Goblins

Post by OldSoul »

Judge Blackthorn wrote:Think you already got the correct answer on Reddit, but STR or AGI modifiers should apply. Deed die only replaces the need for a static class bonus.

Yep. I did, thanks! Took a while for this question to even post here.

As a general thing, all the "details" of the game are left for the judge to either flesh out or push to the side as desired, correct?

Things like the iron helmet. I see it helps to wear a helmet in the crit charts. But no actual details are given to it. So the judge is left to decide if different materials matter, if one might give AC, if they have a check penalty, etc.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

OldSoul wrote:
Judge Blackthorn wrote:Think you already got the correct answer on Reddit, but STR or AGI modifiers should apply. Deed die only replaces the need for a static class bonus.

Yep. I did, thanks! Took a while for this question to even post here.

As a general thing, all the "details" of the game are left for the judge to either flesh out or push to the side as desired, correct?

Things like the iron helmet. I see it helps to wear a helmet in the crit charts. But no actual details are given to it. So the judge is left to decide if different materials matter, if one might give AC, if they have a check penalty, etc.
In general, it lets you build the game you want to play -- or you can just wing things as they come along, without the need for every detail to be codified and studied before play.

Plenty of room to decide what an iron helmet does situationally, rather than a fixed chart/list in a book. Same with everything else, more or less. More like a roleplaying game, less like a board game.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”