Using spells from other books?

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Using spells from other books?

Post by nudnic »

I'm working on a book of monsters and other things for DCC. One of the monsters I'm working on would like to cast Disguise Self. There is no Disguise Self but there is Altered Visage from the adventure Emirikol was Framed. Can I use this?
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Using spells from other books?

Post by Mark_Gedak »

You will need to check the open game content declaration in the source product.

Typically, most crunchy things tend to be open content, but each product needs to clearly outline what is an isn't open game content.
Some publishers are more liberal than others.
--------------------
If it is listed as open game content then you could reuse it provided you follow the rules of the Open Game License.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Using spells from other books?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

nudnic wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:26 am I'm working on a book of monsters and other things for DCC. One of the monsters I'm working on would like to cast Disguise Self. There is no Disguise Self but there is Altered Visage from the adventure Emirikol was Framed. Can I use this?
May I recommend that you just give the monster the powers it needs without having it be a formal spell? Not only does the core rulebook clarify that monsters don't follow the rules, but it boldly states that NPC spellcasters can and should have powers not available to the PCs.

(Unless they Quest For It, in some cases.)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”