VOID HUNTERS: Seventies Sci-Fi Gaming...

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: VOID HUNTERS: Seventies Sci-Fi Gaming...

Post by Maxwell Luther »

aesdana wrote:No news ? :(
Still working on it, but at a much slower pace than anticipated due to the post-graduation job hunt. I kind of needed to recharge my batteries after last month, in any case.

Because of the job hunt, I've pushed my January plans back to February. There's really no helping that, that's life right now, but after I finish the 4th rules revision on Quarterback Blitz this week or the next, my focus will be squarely on VH game design until its done, with a demo of that along with QBB and For Glory!!! at Madness in Plano around the end of February.

In other news, however, my friend Thomas Mays is about to release his hard sci-fi novel, A Sword into Darkness at the end of January and he will then immediately begin work on a setting sourcebook for VH based on that novel. If you're a military sci-fi buff and you want to know more about ASID, you can go here: http://improbableauthor.com/
aesdana
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by aesdana »

Maxwell Luther wrote:
aesdana wrote:No news ? :(
Still working on it, but at a much slower pace than anticipated due to the post-graduation job hunt. I kind of needed to recharge my batteries after last month, in any case.

Because of the job hunt, I've pushed my January plans back to February. There's really no helping that, that's life right now, but after I finish the 4th rules revision on Quarterback Blitz this week or the next, my focus will be squarely on VH game design until its done, with a demo of that along with QBB and For Glory!!! at Madness in Plano around the end of February.

In other news, however, my friend Thomas Mays is about to release his hard sci-fi novel, A Sword into Darkness at the end of January and he will then immediately begin work on a setting sourcebook for VH based on that novel. If you're a military sci-fi buff and you want to know more about ASID, you can go here: http://improbableauthor.com/
Thanks !

And good luck for your job : I wish you all the best !
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

Here's an update on Void Hunters, just to keep folks in the picture.

It's still being worked on and isn't vaporware, but it is going slowly as beating the job bush in the last month has turned out a few interviews and I've spent a lot of time preparing for those. The good news, though, is it looks like my interview for Interactive Simulation and Game Technology Lead Faculty on Tuesday looks to be a winner. I'm preparing a paper, presentation and lecture for that this week. If I get that, I can breathe easier and get back on the VH horse.

As I said, I didn't want you folks to think I've just abandoned the project, it's still happening, but the post graduation job-search has sucked up a lot of my potential output the last two months and looks to do so for at least another couple of weeks. Got to feed the family, and for those of us who produce game material as a sideline, sometimes priorities force us to put our passion on hold fora short time...
sundang
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by sundang »

Hello,
Just checking to see if there are any updates for Void Hunters, and hoping all is going well in general.

All the best.
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

Yes, there is. As of yesterday, I've decided that I'm going to do Void Hunters independently rather than as a DCC supplement. There are a host of reasons for this, but the main ones are:

1. I've had problems selling supplements for full games in the past. Number one complaint: we want all the rules in one book.

2. I'm not allowed to put basic rules in the book if I want it to bear the DCC logo. The license agreement forbids it.

3. The rules variations that I've chosen to fit the genre better have changed the basic structure enough that, while it still has that DCC style, it has pretty much become its own game anyways.

Basically, it all comes down to profit vs. time. I cannot, as a business person who supports a family, justify the amount of time and effort and resources to make VH as a supplement when it is already a pretty niche genre in a niche industry with a very particular customer base. Only a full game would justify it, and not by much, considering the larger profit margins in App games, and the larger customer base in board games.

It's not that I haven't tried, but when the RPG market is as disseminated as it is, App pricing has skewed the value of worth of products (ask someone to pay $60 for a book that provides decades of entertainment value vs. a video game that provides 2 weeks is like pulling teeth) and the customer base actually shouts down innovative products that could make the whole idea profitable again (not to mention anyone with whom they slightly disagree politically or personally), it just kills the drive to produce such products when there are other ways to make a living that are less hostile to profit and personality. Even freelancing for other companies is a hit or miss proposition at best (I still haven't been paid for work I did on the Doctor Who RPG last summer) and it pays even worse than doing your own games, so even without the headaches of production, there is little drive to do that either.

It's not vapor-ware. I'm still working on it, but it is now my vanity project. Something I do out of love for a medium (both game and genre), not something I'm going to try and support my family on. As such, other projects (like For Glory!, which hits both the RPG and Board Game crowd, and Quarterback Blitz, which stands to capture a much larger market of both gamers and sports fans/collectors) will have priority over it. That's the reality of the situation. I hope you understand and will take a look at it when it does finally make the presses. In the meantime, as this is no longer a GG related project (and I thank Joseph and the gang for inspiring it and allow me the opportunity to talk about it here) I'll move all discussion of it to my own blog and forum at http://jabberwocky-media.com/.

Cheers,
Nathaniel
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

An update on the Void Hunters game is up, detailing some of the changes that have been made to the system...

http://jabberwocky-media.com/?p=328
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Happy to see that there's still life in this game.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”