Non-DCC materials that would suit the feel of DCC?

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Non-DCC materials that would suit the feel of DCC?

Post by Golgothmog »

It seems that there is a lot of stuff already out there that could fairly easily be converted to use with DCC... but I'm specifically wondering what would fit the weird/gonzo feel it captures so well.
Forgotten Realms seems all wrong to me... but what about the Planescape stuff? The Underdark? How hard would that be to use? Would it fit?
What about the MASSIVE amount of D20 stuff that filled the shelves... surely there must be some good fits amongst that menagerie?

Up until recently none of the D&D stuff was on my radar because I was playing Stormbringer and CoC and Earthdawn... so that's why I'm asking if anyone has suggestions for stuff I should seek out and put to use.
At the moment I'm tweaking my way through Judge's Guild 'City State of the Invincible Overlord'... to have a home base for players. It's wild and wooly... and seems like a match.
Anything else?

Thanks
reverenddak

Re: Non-DCC materials that would suit the feel of DCC?

Post by reverenddak »

Golgothmog wrote:It seems that there is a lot of stuff already out there that could fairly easily be converted to use with DCC... but I'm specifically wondering what would fit the weird/gonzo feel it captures so well.
Forgotten Realms seems all wrong to me... but what about the Planescape stuff? The Underdark? How hard would that be to use? Would it fit?
What about the MASSIVE amount of D20 stuff that filled the shelves... surely there must be some good fits amongst that menagerie?

Up until recently none of the D&D stuff was on my radar because I was playing Stormbringer and CoC and Earthdawn... so that's why I'm asking if anyone has suggestions for stuff I should seek out and put to use.
At the moment I'm tweaking my way through Judge's Guild 'City State of the Invincible Overlord'... to have a home base for players. It's wild and wooly... and seems like a match.
Anything else?

Thanks
Isle of the Unknown
Yes, to City State of the Invincible Overlord
ASE1-3 Anomalous Subsurface Environment
Gamma World
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I really like Vornheim as well. I am planning on dropping it into my Isle of the Unknown campaign.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Something Rotten in Kislev for WFRP is pure Gonzo.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Setting material I recommend:
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy (including City State of the Invincible Overlord)
  • Empire of the Petal Throne
  • Points of Light I-II
  • Isle of Unknown
  • Scarred Lands
  • Blackmarsh
  • Vornheim
  • Dark Sun
  • Carcosa
  • Arduin
Other stuff:
  • Random Esoteric Creature Generator
  • Dungeon Alphabet
  • Creature Collection
  • Tome of Horrors
  • Relics & Rituals
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

•Blackmarsh Campaign setting is nice. You can buy the print version or get a free pdf. Either way it is old school. My son uses it for his Delving Deeper campaign setting. I might also use it for my DCC campaign setting. Looking at Drivethru RPG I believe the two pdf sets for Aereth are over $90.00! Yes, that is for pdfs... So, Blackmarsh is looking real good right now. Check it out... http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2011/06/ ... marsh.html
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I'd really like to pick up Judges Guild older stuff, but $100 on eBay is stupid expensive for CSIO. Unfortunately I think some folks were saying the PDFs available for purchase were crappy scans. Anyone know anything first hand about this? I really like the old feel of the Judges Guild stuff, that coarse paper and 8-color printing.... good stuff. Would be perfectly happy with PDFs of course but if the scans suck, I don't want to be annoying. (For example, I love L1 Bone Hill but the OCR scan on this module that Wizards put up for free is ridiculously bad... not quite ToEE 1st printing errors bad, but close enough to be annoying.)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Anything by James Raggi.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Setting material I recommend:
  • Wilderlands of High Fantasy (including City State of the Invincible Overlord)
  • Empire of the Petal Throne
  • Points of Light I-II
  • Isle of Unknown
  • Scarred Lands
  • Blackmarsh
  • Vornheim
  • Dark Sun
  • Carcosa
  • Arduin
Other stuff:
  • Random Esoteric Creature Generator
  • Dungeon Alphabet
  • Creature Collection
  • Tome of Horrors
  • Relics & Rituals
This is a good list... I'd add:
  • ASE (Like Dak said...if you haven't seen this, it's highly recommended)
  • Teratic Tome -- monster book of evil goodness.
  • Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea (the campaign set and the adventures..all good)
  • Bride of the Spider God (http://xoth.net/publishing/xp1/) This one is very Conan-y.
  • Gabor Lux (Just search for him; he did a bunch of fan-created stuff for Wilderlands that very applicable to DCC)
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

ragboy wrote:This is a good list... I'd add:
  • ASE (Like Dak said...if you haven't seen this, it's highly recommended)
  • Teratic Tome -- monster book of evil goodness.
  • Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea (the campaign set and the adventures..all good)
  • Bride of the Spider God (http://xoth.net/publishing/xp1/) This one is very Conan-y.
  • Gabor Lux (Just search for him; he did a bunch of fan-created stuff for Wilderlands that very applicable to DCC)
ASE is highly recommended indeed.

Gabor Lux is a brilliant DM and writer. I was lucky enough to play in his rewritten Tegel Manor and one of his Fomalhaut adventures. Two of the most memorable adventures I ever had.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Golgothmog wrote:I was playing Stormbringer and CoC and Earthdawn...
This statement makes me incredibly jealous of your gaming group.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Lots of stuff I own, like, want or haven't heard of but want now that I have.
Teratic Tome and ASE have moved to the top of my 'must buy' list.
Arduin is a big favorite of mine. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't at some point feature an idea that originated with those crazy tomes.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”