Appendix N X-plorers

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Appendix N X-plorers

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

As some of you know, in my free time (after working on Appendix N Adventures and shipping Delving Deeper Boxed Sets) I am making a DCC RPG conversion of X-plorers - a ray gun and bubble helmet, retro-scifi game. Basically, it will end up being a simple supplement for DCC RPG.

I will be posting my work as it progresses for comments, critiques and suggestions.

I will get it started with some character classes.
Last edited by Coleston the Cavalier on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Adams
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Appendix N X-plorers

Scientist

Scientists are academics that actively participate and research in their area of study outside of the academy. Not only are they a fountain of knowledge on the environment, but they are also experts at dealing with alien life forms. Scientists can use computers to retrieve data and analyze things.

Hit points: A scientist gains 1d6 hit points at each level.

Weapons Training: While all X-plorer scientists are trained to use most commons weapons and armor, it is up to the Judge to decide what weapons and armor are usable for each particular scientist in their campaign.

Science: Science covers all scientific studies (i.e., astronomy, biology, geology, chemistry, etc.). This skill can be used to analyze things in the field or make scientific deductions.

Computers: Computers are complicated machines used to compile and interpret data. Scientists are experts at putting data into computers and receiving information based on that data. Since most advanced computers take up a large space, the Scientist will usually have to return to his office or spaceship to use the computer for scientific purposes (unless he has a portable computer). Many corporations and governments use computers to store information, and proficient Scientists can figure out how to retrieve this data.

Xenology: Scientists use this skill to study the physiology, culture, technology and forms of communication of alien species. This skill may also be use when a scientist attempts to use an alien device or decipher an alien’s intentions, actions or communications.

Bonus Skill: With the Judge’s approval, a bonus skill may be chosen by the player to help reflect the diversity and adaptability of all core X-plorer Team members.

Luck: At 1st level, a scientist must choose one specific skill that his luck modifier will always apply towards. This modifier does not change even if the luck score changes.

Action Dice: A scientist uses his action dice for attacking, skill use or any other normal activity.
John Adams
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Engineer

Engineers are scientists that specialize in the technologies that allow humans to live, work and explore space. Every Engineer will have a general, working knowledge of all major areas of human technology. Some examples include: life support systems, mechanical engineering, power generation, ion and hyper drives, bio-dome and space craft construction. While Scientists know how to use computers, Engineers also know how to change the workings and programs of these computers. Finally, Engineers can repair and reprogram robots.

Hit points: An Engineer gains 1d6 hit points at each level.

Weapons Training: While all X-plorer Engineers are trained to use most commons weapons and armor, it is up to the judge to decide what weapons and armor are usable for each particular scientist in their campaign.

Computers: This is the same as the Scientist skill, except that the Engineer can also repair the computer, install new programs, and modify existing ones.

Engineering: This is the Engineer’s ability to design, create, repair, understand, and operate any type of device or technology (including alien devices and technologies).

Robotics: This is the Engineer’s ability to repair and operate robots. It also is his ability to change programming, or retrieve information from the robot’s brain. Note: all robots have a factory installed first directive that makes them unable to harm human beings. While possible to reverse this, it is considered one of the universe’s most sacred laws and punishment for breaking it is always extreme.

Bonus Skill: With the Judge’s approval, a bonus skill may be chosen by the player to help reflect the diversity and adaptability of all core X-plorer Team members.

Luck: Engineers must choose one specific skill that his luck modifier will always apply towards. This modifier does not change even if the luck score changes.

Action Dice: A Engineer uses his action dice for attacking, skill use or any other normal activity.
John Adams
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Sweet. Will it be compatible with vanilla (whatever that is) DCC RPG? I'd be curious how you take on Mighty Deeds , Fumbles and Crits.

But looking forward to some ray-guns and interplanetary space travel.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Soldier

Soldiers are trained in all weapon use and repair. They know how to blow stuff up, kill the enemy, and are deadly with or without an actual weapon in their hands. Whether in an alien environment, a boarding action on a starship or on the ground defending the home world, Soldiers are thoroughly familiar with training and tactics for a single fire team of four up through major mobilizations of thousands of soldiers. They are also adept in surviving in a hostile environment, and can lead their companions through the rough wilderness of alien worlds.

Hit points: A soldier gains 1d12 hit points at each level.

Weapons Training: Soldiers are thoroughly trained and experienced in all levels of combat and have no weapon or armor restrictions.

Attack Modifier, Mighty Deed of Arms, Critical hits, Initiative and Luck: Identical to the warrior character class. See the warrior character class entry in the Dungeon Crawl Classics rule book for complete details.

Soldiering: This skill encompassing any ability common to soldiers. Examples include: Zero-G combat, boarding/repelling actions, small unit tactics demolitions, weapons use, maintenance and repair, etc.

Survival: Survival is the soldier’s ability to survive in hostile and alien environments. It includes finding or creating shelter, obtaining food and water as well as enduring the elements. The Judge may determine that the characters take damage (1 point per day) if they are out in the elements without food and shelter.

Last edited by Coleston the Cavalier on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Adams
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Still to come: Agent, Physician & Fleet Officer.
John Adams
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

reverenddak wrote:Sweet. Will it be compatible with vanilla (whatever that is) DCC RPG? I'd be curious how you take on Mighty Deeds , Fumbles and Crits.

But looking forward to some ray-guns and interplanetary space travel.
It will be completely compatible with DCC RPG - but a few such charts may eventually be replaced to reflect the b-movie, scifi setting.
John Adams
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Really an awesome idea, John, as not all Appendix N literature is fantasy swords-and-sorcery stuff. I'm a big fan of "pulp sci fi" as well, which sounds like the feel you're aiming to replicate. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Thanks, Marv. :)

Physician

A Physician is a Scientist who specializes in the healing and treatment of living beings. They are especially proficient at detecting, diagnosing and treating injuries and diseases.

Hit points: A Physician gains 1d6 hit points at each level.

Weapons Training: While all X-plorer Physicians are trained to use most commons weapons and armor, it is up to the judge to decide what weapons and armor are usable for each particular Physician in their campaign.

Doctoring: This skill covers the Physician’s ability to detect, monitor, diagnose and treat diseases and heal injuries. It also includes such areas as pharmacology, surgery and operating medical equipment.

Psychology: This skill covers the Physician’s ability to detect, monitor, diagnose and treat mental disorders, diseases and injuries.

By making a skill check, a Physician can heal damage to any living creature. The skill check is made as any other: roll 1d20 + Intelligence modifier + Physician level. The damage healed varies according to several factors.

● It is always a number of dice, with the type of dice determined by the hit die of the creature to be healed. For example, a warrior uses a d12 hit die, so a warrior would be healed with d12 dice.
● The number of dice healed cannot exceed the target’s hit dice or class level. For example, a Physician healing a 1st-level character cannot heal with more than 1 die, even if he rolls well on his check.
● Before rolling his spell check, the Physician may elect to heal a specific condition instead of hit points. Healed dice translate to conditions as noted below. In this case, the target’s hit dice or class level do not act as a ceiling. If the Physician heals the indicated dice, the damaging condition is alleviated. “ Overflow” hit dice do not become normal healing, and if the healed dice are too low, there is no effect.

Broken limbs: 1 die
Organ damage: 2 dice
Disease: 2 dice
Paralysis: 3 dice
Poison: 3 dice
Blindness or deafness: 4 dice

● In addition, the species of both the Physician and the patient also plays a part in determining the failure or success as well as the extent of healing (how many dice are healed). There is no penalty when a Physician treats a patient of their same species. When the Physician treats a patient of a similar species, a suggested penalty to the skill role of -1 to -5 is suggested. The Judge should adjust the penalty based upon how similar the two species are and how familiar or experienced the Physician is at treating them. If the patient is an unknown or radically different species than the Physician, a suggested penalty of -6 to -10 (or more) may be applied to the skill role. Again, it is up to the Judge to determine just difficult treated such a patient will be for a Physician.
● Finally, the chart below shows the extent of healing based upon the species of the Physician and patient. (This is the same as the alignment chart in DCC RPG page 35.)

Skill Check Same Species Similar Species Unknown or Radically Different Species
1-11 Failure Failure Failure
12-13 2 dice 1 die 1 die
14-19 3 dice 2 dice 1 die
20-21 4 dice 3 dice 2 dice
22+ 5 dice 4 dice 3 dice

*Please note that a physician using a portable medical kit grants a +1 to their skill role, a medical bed/sick bay grants a +3 to their skill role and a full hospital facility grants a +5 to their skill role. However, a medical kit, medical bed/sick bay or full hospital facility bonuses ever stack together.

Bonus Skill: With the Judge’s approval, a bonus skill may be chosen by the player to help reflect the diversity and adaptability of all core X-plorer Team members. The skill may reflect an area of interest outside of their field or a previous occupation.

Luck: Physicians must choose one specific skill that his luck modifier will always apply towards. This modifier does not change even if the luck score changes.

Action Dice: A Physician uses his action dice for attacking, skill use or any other normal activity.
Last edited by Coleston the Cavalier on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Adams
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Very cool. I may have to buy this.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

This looks very promising and I will buy it when it comes out...
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
Brutorz Bill
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Brutorz Bill »

This sounds very cool!
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Hah, I have been meaning to get some flying monkeys in silver underwear added to the campaign, this will help! Count me in
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Interested also :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colour me intrigued as well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Love it. I played a short session of X-Plorers (as part of a weird circumstance within a DCC game), and it played very well. Like the concept.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

finarvyn wrote:Really an awesome idea, John, as not all Appendix N literature is fantasy swords-and-sorcery stuff. I'm a big fan of "pulp sci fi" as well, which sounds like the feel you're aiming to replicate. 8)
I see a re-enactment of High Crusade in my future.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”