In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer now available!

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer now available!

Post by Colin »

Thought folks might like to know that ItPotSS is available for download on DTRPG/RPGNow HERE.

Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer now available!

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks Colin. You beat me to it! :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Wow. He beat me too... Thanks, Colin!

We have a preview over at the website: http://www.mysticbull.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=201

Plus a couple of other goodies... Samurai's as a DCC class and another bonus encounter.

http://www.mysticbull.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=101
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'm going to buy it as soon as I've got enough spare cash. I just paid for university and Critters, Creatures and Denizens.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I'm going to buy it as soon as I've got enough spare cash. I just paid for university and Critters, Creatures and Denizens.
I got that, too. What do you think?
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

ragboy wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:I'm going to buy it as soon as I've got enough spare cash. I just paid for university and Critters, Creatures and Denizens.
I got that, too. What do you think?
Couldn't continue with reading it. I had a lot of work to do today, plus collegues had nameday, birthday, so we had to drink a few beers in the nearby pub.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

For all who have purchased this product thus far, Thank You!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

For all who have purchased this product thus far, Thank You!
SoBH pbp:

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

o/~ For those about to ROCK! *Boom* We Salute You! o/~
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I still say that "In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer" is one of the best titles ever! Just hearing the name gives me shivers. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Sir Robilar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Robilar »

I'm reading this right now and enjoying the heck out of it. Well done!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Just waiting to see when a print or POD option becomes available, and if there will be a print + pdf bundle or not.

Colin
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Colin wrote:Just waiting to see when a print or POD option becomes available, and if there will be a print + pdf bundle or not.

Colin

Same here. I am tired of buying pdfs and than spending twice as much money on printing them out. Just not cost effective :? Seems like so many companies are going the easy/fast rout now days. PDFs suck at the game table.... :evil:
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Normally, I'd agree, but in this instance I'm okay w/ pdf only. ItPotSS is a collection of 12 encounters, some of which can be printed on a single page. I think the longest one ("Icon of the Blood Goddess") would take only 4 pages printed on both sides. I'm unlikely to go through more than one or two of these encounters in a single session, so a print copy, while nice, is not as required as it would be usually -- for me :)
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Sir Robilar wrote:I'm reading this right now and enjoying the heck out of it. Well done!
Thanks!

finarvyn wrote:I still say that "In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer" is one of the best titles ever! Just hearing the name gives me shivers.
We will be revisiting the Squid Sorcerer in future releases.... his story is only beginning.
Colin wrote:Just waiting to see when a print or POD option becomes available, and if there will be a print + pdf bundle or not.
MrHemlocks wrote: Same here. I am tired of buying pdfs and than spending twice as much money on printing them out. Just not cost effective :? Seems like so many companies are going the easy/fast rout now days. PDFs suck at the game table....
It's coming. I swear. Just trying to figure out which option to choose.

Also, while we're on the subject of media -- would anyone use Squid (or any RPG product) on their pad-like device? I'm tooling around with an e-book editor and wondering if anyone would actually use an ebook version of this thing.
Rick wrote: Normally, I'd agree, but in this instance I'm okay w/ pdf only. ItPotSS is a collection of 12 encounters, some of which can be printed on a single page. I think the longest one ("Icon of the Blood Goddess") would take only 4 pages printed on both sides. I'm unlikely to go through more than one or two of these encounters in a single session, so a print copy, while nice, is not as required as it would be usually -- for me
That's why I'm wondering if an e-book would be just as useful. Less computer at the table... though I don't know how pervasive the pad-devices are at the table.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I own a Nexus 10.

I absolutely LUUUURVE that beautiful piece of technology, and I use it for my DCC RPG PDF (as my rule book, so that others can use my dead tree rule book at the gaming table) and I run the Purple Sorcerer "Crawler Companion" on it as well.

For adventures, I'm very torn. Having a book is nice. I enjoy dead tree format publications.

With PDFs I can print out the sections--on a computer, not the Nexus--that I want and, for example, rename NPCs/locations as I see fit, re-draw/draw on top of maps, and generally add notes to the printed sheet that I'd be reluctant to do with a dead tree version that I paid money for. I hate the idea of dropping $15 on a book and then writing in the margin.

Does that help you? Probably not. :mrgreen:
AJClark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by AJClark »

I use the .pdf of the rule book on my iPad at the gaming table. I have lots of book marks so it makes looking things up very quick.

I'll read pdfs of adventures on the iPad, but for use at the game table I prefer to have a print copy. At the very least a print copy of the map. Makes cross referencing map locations and descriptions easier.

If possible I prefer to buy a print and pdf bundle.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:For adventures, I'm very torn. Having a book is nice. I enjoy dead tree format publications.

With PDFs I can print out the sections--on a computer, not the Nexus--that I want and, for example, rename NPCs/locations as I see fit, re-draw/draw on top of maps, and generally add notes to the printed sheet that I'd be reluctant to do with a dead tree version that I paid money for. I hate the idea of dropping $15 on a book and then writing in the margin.
AJClark wrote:
If possible I prefer to buy a print and pdf bundle.
That's exactly where I'm at. I like the PDF so I can rip the words to a word processor to change the thing (either update it as we go through -- especially something extensive like Barrowmaze -- or to alter things slightly, as in a conversion situation) -- and the PDF is absolutely required for prep work --- and I crave the printed version because I wants it.

Haven't found a use for straight up e-book/epub (not PDF) at the table.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

ragboy wrote:Haven't found a use for straight up e-book/epub (not PDF) at the table.
Exactly.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
ragboy wrote:Haven't found a use for straight up e-book/epub (not PDF) at the table.
Exactly.
I'm the opposite. I find that reading and bookmarking an epub is a zillion times easier than a PDF, and much faster too. I can't reading PDFs on my laptop, even way less on my tablet. Especially when they're 8.5x11. If they were digest, 8.5x5.5 or even 9x6, it'd be fine/better. But PDFs are so slow and cumbersome to me, even PDFs formatted that way are a pain, i.e. worthless to me. I end up printing everything I need out every time.

I want this bad, but I too am going to wait for a print version.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

reverenddak wrote: I'm the opposite. I find that reading and bookmarking an epub is a zillion times easier than a PDF, and much faster too. I can't reading PDFs on my laptop, even way less on my tablet. Especially when they're 8.5x11. If they were digest, 8.5x5.5 or even 9x6, it'd be fine/better. But PDFs are so slow and cumbersome to me, even PDFs formatted that way are a pain, i.e. worthless to me. I end up printing everything I need out every time.

I want this bad, but I too am going to wait for a print version.
Currently trying to figure out the epub thing with images... Academic for the moment.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

initially I had no interest in this as I thought it was a mind flayer adventure. When I looked into it more and realized it was a series of encounters I was more interested. After picking it up and scrolling around a bit I think there are some good things in here. Worth picking up as a spring board for ideas, or as some encounters to use as filler or to flush out for something bigger.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Rostranor wrote:initially I had no interest in this as I thought it was a mind flayer adventure. When I looked into it more and realized it was a series of encounters I was more interested. After picking it up and scrolling around a bit I think there are some good things in here. Worth picking up as a spring board for ideas, or as some encounters to use as filler or to flush out for something bigger.
Glad you picked it up! Let us know what you think when you've had some time to read it and run a couple.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

reverenddak wrote:I can't reading PDFs on my laptop, even way less on my tablet. Especially when they're 8.5x11.
Nexus 10: Almost 8.5" x 11" in size, and with a better resolution than an iPad.

Pure gold-coated-cocaine win.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”