Who'z the best?

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Who'z the best?

Post by Troy812 »

So... who makes the best 3rd party materials?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Who'z the best?

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Troy812 wrote:So... who makes the best 3rd party materials?
We don't have too many (or enough) yet, but all of them seems to be interesting.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
We don't have too many (or enough) yet, but all of them seems to be interesting.
Agreed. We should probably have some actual products in hand before we spend too much time in speculation. I've seen ads for so many cool modules and settings that the next few months will probably be both awesome and expensive at the same time.

If I had to recommend one company sight-unseen, it would probably be Brave Halfling. John's stuff is always pretty solid.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The fact that everything published goes through Goodman Games for approval means that there is serious quality control across the board, AFAICT.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

So...no third party publisher is willing to step-up and explain why they are the best????
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Good heavens no. :)

I think the DCC RPG community is evolving into something special. The vibe on these forums is respectful, and I think it's because most of us share a passion for everything that makes gaming fun and worthwhile. Of course, it seems almost everyone I've interacted with has been a tinkerer and a creator at their core, so no one is going to agree on everything, or share precicely the same vision. But I think there's a refreshing willingness here to listen and to share. We can always hack someone else's stuff after we get it anyway!

In terms of the 3PP, every single one that I've had any contact with have been friendly and supportive. From what I've seen of their work, they're all talented and committed. I look forward to checking out all their stuff, and supporting them where I think they can help me put together a better game experience. And really, that goes for everyone I've worked with from Goodman Games. There are quality people here, and I feel no compulsion whatsoever to place anyone in a pecking order. ;)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Troy812 wrote:So...no third party publisher is willing to step-up and explain why they are the best????
No, because they are not rivals, but cool dudes who would rather sit down, drink a beer and tell each other good stories about their adventures, than boast about how better they are than the others. Plus, we're going to buy their stuff anyhow. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Colin

Post by Colin »

tovokas wrote:Good heavens no. :)

I think the DCC RPG community is evolving into something special. The vibe on these forums is respectful, and I think it's because most of us share a passion for everything that makes gaming fun and worthwhile. Of course, it seems almost everyone I've interacted with has been a tinkerer and a creator at their core, so no one is going to agree on everything, or share precicely the same vision. But I think there's a refreshing willingness here to listen and to share. We can always hack someone else's stuff after we get it anyway!

In terms of the 3PP, every single one that I've had any contact with have been friendly and supportive. From what I've seen of their work, they're all talented and committed. I look forward to checking out all their stuff, and supporting them where I think they can help me put together a better game experience. And really, that goes for everyone I've worked with from Goodman Games. There are quality people here, and I feel no compulsion whatsoever to place anyone in a pecking order. ;)
This, a thousand times this. Considering how active the forum is, it's a remarkably relaxed, friendly, and relatively snark-free environment. To be honest, most rpg creators I've ever interacted with, both in terms of freelancing on over 50 books now, and in terms of establishing RAD, are far less contentious and bitter than many fans can sometimes seem to be. Few rivalries exist, and there's not an inconsiderable amount of support for each other too, even within the same niche. There's a lot of recognition that this is something we all do primarily for the love of it and a lot of rpg creators will happily sing the praises of other folks' work too.

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Troy812 wrote:So...no third party publisher is willing to step-up and explain why they are the best????
No, because they are not rivals, but cool dudes who would rather sit down, drink a beer and tell each other good stories about their adventures, than boast about how better they are than the others.
Quoted for truth.

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”