Brave Halfling Publishing: Appendix N Adventures

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Brave Halfling Publishing: Appendix N Adventures

Post by ragboy »

Ceronomus wrote:Fritz, I hope they deliver. I also hope they have come to realize that a year and a half late doesn't even begin to approach acceptable. Seeing the PDFs up for sale on RPG Now, and still no hard copies after all this time is pretty frustrating, bordering on infuriating. It is great that they are still adding adventures as rewards for tardiness, but just shipping out what is due would probably satisfy most folks.
John will make good on his obligations. In the grand scheme of things, though, does it really matter all that much if it's a bit late? We have the PDFs, the hard copies are making their way out to folks. If I had gone through what he has over the last year, I think I would still be in bed with the covers over my head. I don't know... maybe I have a different perspective.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

DCCfan wrote:
SavageRobby wrote:I find it, uh, interesting that prominent bloggers, authors and posters have received theirs, and most others haven't.

Coincidence, I'm sure. :twisted:
This is my 560th post. I hope that pushes me up the mailing list. :)
Didn't work. Still nothing here in Florida.:D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

ragboy wrote:
Ceronomus wrote:Fritz, I hope they deliver. I also hope they have come to realize that a year and a half late doesn't even begin to approach acceptable. Seeing the PDFs up for sale on RPG Now, and still no hard copies after all this time is pretty frustrating, bordering on infuriating. It is great that they are still adding adventures as rewards for tardiness, but just shipping out what is due would probably satisfy most folks.
John will make good on his obligations. In the grand scheme of things, though, does it really matter all that much if it's a bit late? We have the PDFs, the hard copies are making their way out to folks. If I had gone through what he has over the last year, I think I would still be in bed with the covers over my head. I don't know... maybe I have a different perspective.
In the grand scheme of things? No -- of course not. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if I get them at all. It also wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things if I bought a ticket to see a movie next month, then the theater told me I wouldn't be able to go for a *year and a half.* That doesn't mean it's not bullshit.

I'm not too worked up over it or anything, but I planned to use a couple of these modules to run my first DCC campaign. The PCs are now level 3-4. Oh well. Not much I can do. $20 gone and I didn't get any use out of it.
ZenDog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ZenDog »

jozxyqk wrote: I planned to use a couple of these modules to run my first DCC campaign. The PCs are now level 3-4. Oh well. Not much I can do. $20 gone and I didn't get any use out of it.
Time for a TPK? :mrgreen:
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

jozxyqk wrote:
I'm not too worked up over it or anything, but I planned to use a couple of these modules to run my first DCC campaign. The PCs are now level 3-4. Oh well. Not much I can do. $20 gone and I didn't get any use out of it.
Yep -- I'm doing that now. Just integrated the cobtraps adventure into a pre-historic jungle island crawl. The adventures are quite easy to scale -- these characters are level 2, but will likely be higher before they get into this one.

The good thing about these is that they are tight, but there are lots of "hard points" to attach a lot of different options.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

ragboy wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
Yep -- I'm doing that now. Just integrated the cobtraps adventure into a pre-historic jungle island crawl. The adventures are quite easy to scale -- these characters are level 2, but will likely be higher before they get into this one.

The good thing about these is that they are tight, but there are lots of "hard points" to attach a lot of different options.
Well yeah -- except I still don't have them. As far as I know we will have switched to a different DM and/or system by the time I do.

It's definitely true that I could try and scale them or even convert them to a different system. But that's not the bill of goods I was sold. As you say, not the end of the world. People who are "outraged" or whatever are being pretty overblown. Just kind of a bummer.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

jozxyqk wrote:
Well yeah -- except I still don't have them. As far as I know we will have switched to a different DM and/or system by the time I do.

It's definitely true that I could try and scale them or even convert them to a different system. But that's not the bill of goods I was sold. As you say, not the end of the world. People who are "outraged" or whatever are being pretty overblown. Just kind of a bummer.
So, no PDFs?
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

ragboy wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

So, no PDFs?
I did get the pdfs, but I don't have a way of using pdfs to run adventures. No tablet or similar device. I guess I could go to the library and pay $.10 a page to print them out, but that seems sort of ridiculous when I bought a hard copy.
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Dungeon Games - Estero, FL

Post by Ceronomus »

ragboy wrote:
It was a horrible year. No doubt about it. Had he been telling people that things were delayed and weren't going out, that would be one thing. Instead though, he has repeatedly said things were shipping, when they weren't, has put hard copies out for sale in stores, and has the PDFs up for sale online. So, the people who funded everything? 18 months late... let's let that sink in for a minute.

I don't think anyone here doesn't feel sorry for the tragedies that have befallen John. They are terrible, horrific, things that nobody should ever have to confront. However, when the person involved continues to LIE and intentionally deceive his backers, one has to wonder what else is going on.

*The first rewards shipment was "going out" in November 2012 (as per John on Nov 4, 2012)

*The first TWO modules were to begin shipping "next week" (as per John on May 30, 2013) - 6 MONTHS after the initial shipment was reported to be going out.

*All shipments down to the $20 level to be completed in two weeks (as per John on June 15, 2013)

*Apologizes for print versions being in stores before backers have them, shipping now "on track" (As per John on Oct 8, 2013)

*Sending out the FIRST shipment (as per John on Oct 25, 2013), nearly a YEAR after first reporting that it was shipped, 5 months after the second reporting of shipping, 4 months after all shipments were to have been completed, and three weeks after they were "on track"

*First shipment still "going out" (as per Jon on Nov 12, 2013)

*Should have 50% of orders shipped by "next week" (as per John on Dec 5th, 2013)

*Should have 150 more shipments out next week (as per John on Dec 26, 2013) - Final Update

John is not a good businessman. He may be a really nice guy, and is certainly a man who has had more of his share of troubles over the past year. However, what I see is his friends enabling and excusing his behavior. This business model of taking money, repeatedly lying, and never shipping is not a solid one. It reflects poorly on him and, by proximity, those associated with the project. That isn't wholly fair, but that's how it works. It makes me leery of ALL DCC third party publishers. Keep lying to your customers and they get REALLY pissed off.

I run my own business. If I ran it like this? I'd be flipping burgers. If you cannot meet shipping deadlines? You TELL your customers what has come up and why. One does NOT simply keep ignoring those promises while piling on new ones later. Treat your customers well and you build up loyalty. Treat your customers poorly and, no matter how good the product is, you will have less support and vocal critics.

Take a look at Goodman Games. Joseph Goodman offered to issue refunds to John's customers, out of his own pocket. Goodman Games, again, goes above and beyond to support its fanbase, players, customers, third party publishers, and friends. Goodman Games goes to the other extreme of things, treating people better than anyone could expect. Goodman? They get my money as fast as I can shovel it to them. Goodman Games doesn't take the "High Road" because, quite frankly, where they are going "they don't need roads". They blaze a trail.

The difference between how these two entities communicate and treat their customers could not be any more stark. One repeatedly lies to its customers, one bends over backwards. Only one of these is a model for long term success.

So yes, people are angry, and they have every right to be angry. Perhaps people should stop enabling John by trying to cover for him. When someone takes extra money to help defray additional and unexpected shipping costs, they are rather expected to ship something.
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

Ceronomus wrote: So yes, people are angry, and they have every right to be angry. Perhaps people should stop enabling John by trying to cover for him. When someone takes extra money to help defray additional and unexpected shipping costs, they are rather expected to ship something.

How long do we have to wait before the enablers will finally give in and say, "Wow, you guys got screwed." How long? Three years? Four? Thirty? Eventually there HAS to come a time when even the most ardent supporter takes a look around and realizes that this particular third party publisher isn't worth his weight in physical RPG supplements.

All of us still waiting are aware of his troubles. We get it. Are his supporters looking past the fact that he LIED? You gave a great list, Ceronomus, and it isn't the first time such a list has been posted. Can one of John's supporters please explain to me how in the world ANY of the problems that John has faced changed the fact that Module 1 has supposedly shipped hundreds of copies about five times now, yet only a select handful of people have even hinted at receiving anything? That baffles me beyond belief, and frustrates me beyond compare.

I am still waiting for a copy of Delving Deeper which I ordered even before I backed the KS project! The ridiculous excuses on the delays for DD are nearly as bad as those for the KS delays! Needless to say, even if I ever get a shred of paper from John, there is no way in the green grass on my front lawn (covered in snow at the moment) that I will ever purchase another product from Brave Halfling Publishing, and I seriously have to question the mental sanity of anyone who ever does in the future.
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ceronomus »

LegoRick wrote: Needless to say, even if I ever get a shred of paper from John, there is no way in the green grass on my front lawn (covered in snow at the moment) that I will ever purchase another product from Brave Halfling Publishing, and I seriously have to question the mental sanity of anyone who ever does in the future.
I won't go quite that far. I'll buy products once they are available via RPGnow or the like (PDF or Print on demand), because then I know I'll get what is being paid for. Back a kickstarter though? No way, no how.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

LegoRick wrote:I am still waiting for a copy of Delving Deeper which I ordered even before I backed the KS project!
Have you e-mailed John about this? There's a thread on my OD&D Disucssion boards where he has been trying to get information from any folks who have been missed in the process.

I got my copy a few weeks ago and I think most of the "last wave" has been sent out and folks are all getting their copies of Delving Deeper. If I recall correctly, John had some organizational issues and some notecards with contact info got lost or misplaced.

The problem with kickstarter projects is you're paying for someone to develop something, but folks assume it's like ordering something that's waiting to be delivered. Simply put, John promised way too much for an one-man operation and got totally overwhelmed by folks who wanted product. He's been trying to juggle projects as best as he can, which isn't a great excuse but I think he will "make it right" in the end.

Anyway, you might contact John again to be sure you didn't get missed.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

LegoRick wrote:
. . . That baffles me beyond belief, and frustrates me beyond compare.

. . . there is no way in the green grass on my front lawn (covered in snow at the moment) that I will ever purchase another product from Brave Halfling Publishing, and I seriously have to question the mental sanity of anyone who ever does in the future.
This is where we start getting silly. Why don't you get a refund, dude? If getting jerked around on $20 is causing you to lose your mind, just get your money back and buy a few modules from Goodman.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

finarvyn wrote:
LegoRick wrote:I am still waiting for a copy of Delving Deeper which I ordered even before I backed the KS project!
Have you e-mailed John about this? There's a thread on my OD&D Disucssion boards where he has been trying to get information from any folks who have been missed in the process.

I got my copy a few weeks ago and I think most of the "last wave" has been sent out and folks are all getting their copies of Delving Deeper. If I recall correctly, John had some organizational issues and some notecards with contact info got lost or misplaced.

<<snip>>

Anyway, you might contact John again to be sure you didn't get missed.
I ordered a copy of Delving Deeper when BHP was just concluding the publishing of the Swords & Wizardry White Box boxed sets and offered to convert S&W WB boxed sets to Delving Deeper. It's been so long in getting here that I don't remember how long that's been.

But, I've continued to email John about it every 3 to 6 months, just to make sure I was still on his list of folks still waiting on their boxed set. On December 30, after receiving one of my reminder emails, John emailed me a tracking number for the Delving Deeper boxed set. And today, it looks like the boxed set was delivered to my house. Whoop! :!:

I'm not home yet, but when I make it home, I'm sure going to savor looking over the boxed set that arrived today.

Thanks, John, for getting this mailed out!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Got my Appendix N subscription package yesterday.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ceronomus »

ragboy wrote:Got my Appendix N subscription package yesterday.
<crosses fingers>
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ceronomus »

Yeah, my wife emailed and was told she'd have a tracking number by the end of the week....last week.

So...Subscribers? Getting their shipments.
Backers? Maybe not so much.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Ceronomus wrote:Yeah, my wife emailed and was told she'd have a tracking number by the end of the week....last week.
I told her it would ship over the weekend. However, it ended up being a VERY busy weekend at my day job and two of our boys had the stomach flu, but it did ship today. I emailed her the tracking number. Thank you for your patience. :)
John Adams
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

As noted on g+ and elsewhere I got my Appendix N shipment last week and I am delighted! Thanks John, glad to see you getting back on top of these!
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

.......still waiting for mine to arrive.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

jozxyqk wrote:
LegoRick wrote:

. . . there is no way in the green grass on my front lawn (covered in snow at the moment) that I will ever purchase another product from Brave Halfling Publishing, and I seriously have to question the mental sanity of anyone who ever does in the future.
This is where we start getting silly. Why don't you get a refund, dude? If getting jerked around on $20 is causing you to lose your mind, just get your money back and buy a few modules from Goodman.
I am in for over $100 between $50 for the KS and $50 for Delving Deeper. I don't want a refund because I do still want the materials. I am glad to see people seem to be receiving them.
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

Ceronomus wrote: I won't go quite that far. I'll buy products once they are available via RPGnow or the like (PDF or Print on demand), because then I know I'll get what is being paid for. Back a kickstarter though? No way, no how.
Yeah, you are right. I was thinking that even still I wouldn't want to contribute in the future to BHP even if the products were sitting on the shelf in front of me because of what I have been through, but maybe that is a bit brash.

@Finarvyn: Yes, I get in touch with him time after time through facebook, his blog, KS, and email. But I guess one more email wouldn't hurt.
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

LegoRick wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
LegoRick wrote:

I am in for over $100 between $50 for the KS and $50 for Delving Deeper. I don't want a refund because I do still want the materials. I am glad to see people seem to be receiving them.
[Deleted as unnecessarily argumentative and snide]
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

jozxyqk wrote:
The better part of valor shines as it always did on the Goodman Games board! :D
LegoRick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LegoRick »

jozxyqk wrote:

Thanks for that, though I can't imagine how my post you were replying to could elicite a response containing anything other than perhaps a, "Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware." or maybe, "Now I can understand your frustrations."

That said, I reached out to John once again, and this time he has promised to ship my materials by this weekend. I see the light!

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”