Chapter 13 Press Presents: Tales of the Fallen Empire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Chapter 13 Press Presents: Tales of the Fallen Empire

Post by Machpants »

Having being an avid follower of RPG and other game releases over the years I always add give (or take? Never) another few months/years to any release date

keeps me a little sane ;)
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Machpants wrote:Having being an avid follower of RPG and other game releases over the years I always add give (or take? Never) another few months/years to any release date

keeps me a little sane ;)
So true. Double for the good ones. Some companies cannot tell the difference between consumer and playtester.
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the inquiry!
Right now we are in the process of getting the final bits of writing together and working on the art direction. We were hoping for an April release, but we need to wait on a couple of things... mainly the physical release of DCC and second making sure everything is done correctly.
We have brought on board Michael Lavoie (AEG) to do some of the class art and Eric Quigly (the cover artist) will come back to do the monster chapter. I am in talks with some OSR writers to help flesh out a few bits. I want to make sure that this supplement is very true to the Sword and Sorcery tropes we all love.

Play testing went well in February. We found that the Sorcerer had to be revised and the Witch needed a lot of work. We have dropped the Sidhe as a class for the main supplement and brought on Pirate (think 1,001 Arabian nights/Sindbad/Captain Nemo).

Someone pointed out that some companies can't tell the difference between play tester and consumer. That is so true. We do not want to release a badly done product and we will take the time to play test and edit before publishing.

There will be more news coming in the next week so check our site and this thread for more details.
Rev. James Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Sole Proprietor - Chapter 13 Press
http://www.Hexgeneration.com Post Punk and OSR Gaming from the Generation X point of view.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I would much rather wait for a good game than feel cheated on a shotty game! I don't think many consumers realize the work that goes from concept to print. Your cover and description of your setting looks so awesome that when people yell "C'MON !!!" , take it as a compliment. The Transylvanian books and your's look like two variants of DCC that can take things to the next level (thus giving DCC more HP and higher attack dice).
blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

Sorry if I missed the info in earlier posts but is this going to be a hardcover book,
a PDF only or what format? Thanks, looking forward to it, looks promising!
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

blindelf wrote:Sorry if I missed the info in earlier posts but is this going to be a hardcover book,
a PDF only or what format? Thanks, looking forward to it, looks promising!
Thanks for the positive feedback.
The initial release will be PDF followed by a soft cover version done via POD.
A lot of what will determine the print run will be our Kickstarter going up next week. We are bringing on Michael Curtis (Stonehell Dungeon) to do some writing and have one of Goodman Games artists possibly doing some or all of the maps.

I will be posting more here about the Kickstarter soon.
http://www.Hexgeneration.com Post Punk and OSR Gaming from the Generation X point of view.
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

I have looked over some of the art work for the Kickstarter and it looks awesome. The Sorcerer and Wanderer really give the feel of a post apocalyptic swords and sorcery setting. I should have the finished pieces in shortly and we can get moving. I am really excited that we could get Michael Curtis (StoneHell Dungeon) aboard to work on the magic chapter. More to come soon
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

ravenspoe wrote:I have looked over some of the art work for the Kickstarter and it looks awesome. The Sorcerer and Wanderer really give the feel of a post apocalyptic swords and sorcery setting. I should have the finished pieces in shortly and we can get moving. I am really excited that we could get Michael Curtis (StoneHell Dungeon) aboard to work on the magic chapter. More to come soon
That sounds great. Michael Curtis is awesome. I find his work on Stonehell inspiring.
VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by VengerSatanis »

Sounds awesome, can't wait!

VS
VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by VengerSatanis »

Also, was any inspiration taken from Thundarr the Barbarian tv show?

VS
I Rolled Cheesemaker
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by I Rolled Cheesemaker »

Is this still a thing?
"Magic comes from gods and demons who are capricious and unconcered with your character's flyspeck of a life." DCC RPG pg. 104
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I Rolled Cheesemaker wrote:Is this still a thing?
Totally. He just recently sent an update via kickstarter or whatever.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Brutorz Bill
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Brutorz Bill »

I'm very interested in this setting, sounds like it will be right up my alley! :)
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

Sorry for the radio silence. I have been updating my backers, but I have been horrible about being public.
We are in manuscript approval and edit, we should have the last part of the manuscript in the hands of my proofreaders by next week and once the final edits are done it goes into layout. We are behind a month now, but considering some of the other KS projects I have backed, we are early.

Still awaiting three pieces of art...

The GM screens are at the printer and the special keepsake bookmark is going out this week. I am hoping everyone will be getting their books by the end of march. I will make the book available to the public via my website and IPR in April to all others. I will also have the PDF of the book and the screen on DriveThru RPG in early March where backers can get their copies for free.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Was there a survey for this project (I don't remember filling one...), especially for the shipping address!
Colin

Post by Colin »

I doubt they'll ask for a shipping address until they're actually ready to ship. Too much time between starting layout, printing, and being ready to ship to make it useful; in that time period, folks could easily have changed address, so it makes more sense to wait until you're ready to pop 'em in the post.

Colin
ravenspoe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ravenspoe »

Colin wrote:I doubt they'll ask for a shipping address until they're actually ready to ship. Too much time between starting layout, printing, and being ready to ship to make it useful; in that time period, folks could easily have changed address, so it makes more sense to wait until you're ready to pop 'em in the post.

Colin
Indeed! I have received some emails from people who have changed addresses, so I have archived until we are ready to ship. I have sent out the first half of the Manuscript a few weeks back, but only go one reply. I made the corrections and now trying to get the 2nd half through edit and proof. I should have the screens by next week and my art director has the layout pieces ready to go. I am now missing only 2 bits of art and all of the writing is done. The Oscar Rios Module is finished, I need to put together a couple of Maps for it and get that into layout as well.

We want to get this out the door so we can begin our "An Unlikely Fellowship" line of PDFs featuring some new classes for DCC and finally "The Children of Frynn" module which we will be having Frank Mentzer write the forward for.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Any word on release yet?
imperialus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sentry Box

Post by imperialus »

Last update to the kickstarter was May 15th. They were waiting on 1 piece of artwork and then final layout. They're certainly in the home stretch.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

Is there a street date for this yet?

I wants it - but missed the KS.

My moneys shall be proferred as soon as the tome materialises!!!!
madprofessor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by madprofessor »

I have had my eye this for quite a long time now, and will purchase it as soon as it is available.

DCC has been the remedy for most of my RPG mechanics nightmares, but I often prefer Swords and Sorcery to more Tolkien-esk or "generic" fantasy styles and I think Tales would be a perfect fit. My App N is largely about S&S and "weird" sci-fi - probably a result of Saturday morning Thundarr and the Hurculiods when I was a kid. Ever since, my GMing has been inspired by Harryhausen, Frazetta, Howard, Moorcock, Lieber, etc. I even enjoy Lin Carter's Lemuria! Don't get me wrong, I am dedicated Tolkien fan, but for me, mixing Tolkien and Howard is like a beer milk-shake. I like beer, and also Ice-cream, but I don't care so much for beer and Ice-cream. Anyway, Tales of the Fallen Empire seems the perfect solution for Sword and Sorcery style role-playing (BOL was pretty good too), and I keep waiting, and waiting for news because I missed the kickstarter.

I am glad Chapter 13 is taking their time to get it right ... it would be real bummer if it never materialized. Like many others on this thread, I do wish the folks at Chapter 13 would keep us posted on the game's progress and give us a date for release.
Atlatl Jones
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Atlatl Jones »

There have been weekly updates on the Kickstarter, and the one a couple days ago is viewable by non-backers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932 ... sts/533256
madprofessor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by madprofessor »

Great!! thanks for the update and the promise to continue them in the weeks to come. I understand that your first priority is the kickstarter contributors. My players and I are looking forward to the final product. The character sheet looks sharp.
Nyarlathotep5150
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nyarlathotep5150 »

Sweet! I've been anxiously awaiting this book since I preordered the DCC core. Glad to hear it's in the final stretch.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Still no word on this ?

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”