2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimoire

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

donpimpom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: 2012: Transylvanian Adventures & The Transylvanian Grimo

Post by donpimpom »

I plan to play this adventure to my group next saturday as a Halloween game.
Any advice or clue to keep in mind? (first TA game for all of us, but we already played several DCCs)
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Hoplitenomad wrote:Finally got a chance to play. We played the "Winter Home" adventure. One of the best session I've been a part of. One hp away from a TPK. But, our female reaver was able to killed the big bad guy through the sacrifice of the other 3 players. The GM allowed all of the characters who died in the previous round to burn all of their remaining luck to distract the Big Baddy vs a staying throw.

It failed the ST and the Reaver with 1 hp left struck the fatal blow.
Wow. That sounds awesome. Amazingly awesome. I'm glad you had fun with it.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

donpimpom wrote:I plan to play this adventure to my group next saturday as a Halloween game.
Any advice or clue to keep in mind? (first TA game for all of us, but we already played several DCCs)
  • If you've played or run DCC RPG in the past, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how similar they feel in play.
  • Don't be afraid to be very, very hard on the players. They have Ruin. Don't forget Ruin. You hardly have anything to fear about PC mortality until Ruin hits 2 or 3 for everyone. So it's okay to play the game as it rolls. I really tried to carry over how I like to run games -- as an impartial arbitrator with antagonistic leanings - in TA. Fudging die rolls is anathema to me. And while I look at the PCs as heroes in the overall story, heroes are only as heroic as the danger to which they stand opposed. Maybe that insight will help.
  • Crazy stuff happens in TA. A character punches a shark. A character slides under a giant spider and blasts it wild west style with two handguns. A character jumps on the head of a Zombie T-Rex and stabs it in the eye. TA is not like Call of Cthulhu or any of those games. Players are going to do crazy ****. Let them. It's part of the fun. Feel free to scare them, throw the book at them, but when they decide to use a zombie as a "human shield" and blast their way to the evil sorcerer. Awesome. That's what it's all about. I don't know exactly why but TA supports shenanigans. Long live shenanigans.
I hope that helps. And I hope you have fun.
donpimpom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by donpimpom »

Thanks for those tips, I have no idea what the Ruin rules are, I just got the adventure with a streamlined version of the rules, so I suppose the Ruin rule should be detailed in the TA rulebook.

We had a very funny session that ended in a total killed party, once the had the girl they bypassed some important rooms and raced to the main floor, the escape race ended in a long and nasty final combat.
But we had fun and players liked the rule changes.
Very probably we will be back to this system, it seems quite solid for horror and victorian games.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

donpimpom wrote:Thanks for those tips, I have no idea what the Ruin rules are, I just got the adventure with a streamlined version of the rules, so I suppose the Ruin rule should be detailed in the TA rulebook.

We had a very funny session that ended in a total killed party, once the had the girl they bypassed some important rooms and raced to the main floor, the escape race ended in a long and nasty final combat.
But we had fun and players liked the rule changes.
Very probably we will be back to this system, it seems quite solid for horror and victorian games.
Cool. The Ruin rules are in the main book. The Winter Home has a pared-down version of them due to space constraints. It's what characters do when they are reduced to 0 hit points.

I'm glad you had fun. I guess the main difference between TA and other horror games is that most horror games are all serious and stuff until the characters go completely off the rails and do crazy, near-suicidal stuff. TA just assumes that's the default. It's not like it explicitly encourages that crazy stuff (or maybe it does) but more like it embraces it as genre-appropriate. Whereas it would be genre-WTF in some other horror games.

Thanks for checking it out.
Deadstop
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Deadstop »

Any news since October, smathis? At last report you were very, very busy, but were about to sign up a co-author. How did that go?

If there's any way that any of us fans can help the rest of TATG make its appearance, I'm sure we'd be glad to. I certainly would.

Hope I'm not nagging too much, but I really wanna see this thing come out in its entirety.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Deadstop wrote:Any news since October, smathis? At last report you were very, very busy, but were about to sign up a co-author. How did that go?

If there's any way that any of us fans can help the rest of TATG make its appearance, I'm sure we'd be glad to. I certainly would.

Hope I'm not nagging too much, but I really wanna see this thing come out in its entirety.
You're not nagging. I'm just a bit all over the place. I've been spread extremely thin since starting a new job a little over a year ago and moving residences. I appreciate the continued support.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”